Bay Window - Naive first time buyer

Check there is a continuous drip groove under the concrete cill. This will stop water running back onto the brickwork.

Apologies if this has already being mentioned.

Andy

Sponsored Links
It's absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll have a few signs of age when you're in your mid eighties !

The cracks in the mortar are completely correct as already mentioned, you want the cracks with the mortar beds and not through the bricks themselves, the mortar mix /pointing wants to be weaker than the bricks. Then it's easy to repoint with weak mix.

All it is is a little settlement, not subsidence. Rest easy.

But never ever sit in the lounge near the bay windows !!!!!

Only kidding !!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Wow, so you did ...... I did not realise things got modded based on some of the comments/arguments I read on other posts....perhaps you got the wrong advice/joke ratio....:ROFLMAO::mrgreen:

What's the difference?

You know I know you do.

A little settlement is normal a few cracks and nothing major occurring, subsidence on the other hand can cause walls to go out of plumb, floors to drop. Major moment not fine cracks.

Looks like my 1930s house in Timperley (South Manchester). You nearby by any chance?!

Considering the number of semis built in the 1930s I think there is a good chance there has been a replication of designs....but...you never know....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back