Bay Window pole supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have previous experience of fitting straight uPVC windows, and am now to replace some old timber Bay windows, they are quite large: 7 segment, total width 3mt, projection 1.2mt.

I lack surveying experience when it comes to Bays though.

I am aware the old windows provide structural support, I am being offered windows with a 38mm 1.8mm aluminium pole (6x poles in total), the on-line windows supplier does not sell the thicker 2.7mm pole, I have asked why no thicker poles available, but they will not commit to any questions I have, or look at an image of my property - they state they 'are not fitters' !

Here is an image of the window to be replaced, it has a tiled (large format tiles) gabled roof, with brick and rendered gable wall on the first floor above, and then a rendered brick wall above ground floor - so I would have thought quite a bit of weight.

I have a 'load bearing' chart for the tube, which shows an approx 1 tonne capacity at 1.4mt height for each 1.8mm thick pole for the top floor, and 0.75 tonne at 1.8mt height for the ground floor, so as long as I can spread the load at the head of the window - then 6 tonne capacity for each set of windows will be provided.

Do I take it from the manufacturer (who supplied the load capacity chart - attached) that the 1.8mm and 2.8mm poles are a 'fits all' for 1930's semi's.

On a side issue, The window supplier has not made provision for Pole Jacks or spreader plates, so not sure how they expect you to get the poles in place - am I missing something here, do you simply shim out, wedging top and bottom then lower acros ... jacks just seem an easier way of working.

Attachments

• IMG_3951.JPG
    IMG_3951.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Baypole loadings.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You may just want to add what make of windows you are planning to use incase anyone here is familiar with them, Also the angles of you bays.

Just had a quick look in my Liniar specification guide and I have a choice of 12 different bay poles and 4 pole jacks. All with Axial load charts.
My guys have both a 135 degree or 150 degree fixed angle poles or various round and bow poles.

I think it all on the hardware download (6th down on left hand side) of this page http://www.liniar.co.uk/downloads/
But like I say it depends on what make of windows you are going with

Thanks for the reply, 12 different bay poles, few more than I've been offered !.

Make of windows is Duraflex.

Angles between facets:
1 and 2 = 120 deg.
2 and 3 = 165 deg.
3 and 4 = 165 deg.
5 and 6 = 165 deg.
6 and 7 = 120 deg.

I'm interested to know why the angle is significant.

Duraflex Load chart attached below.

Sorry don't have access to get that hardware download :(

Found some interesting info here:
http://www.nichollsandcooke.com/downloads/bay-poles.pdf

I see they offer galv 'steel' poles, not Ali ! pn page 7.

These are the 'window widgets' people.

On page 2 they have list 'typical list of material weights' with a load chart for a Duraflex 38mm pole - but do not state which thickness pole it is 1.8 or 2.7mm.

I have made some calculations using their guidance - and 6x 1.8mmx38mm Ali poles = in theory/on paper should support the weight, but i want to feel and touch such a pole before I judge it man enough.

Page 16 has some more pertinent guidance.

Do installers employ a structural engineer every time they replace a bay in a 1930's semi, or do they simply follow a convention, and if that is so - what is that in relation to my property, are the fabricators confident knowing what I don't and there 1.8mm default ali pole is man enough ? I just wish they would be a bit more forth coming.

Attachments

• Baypole loadings.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Here is a direct link www.a-windows.co.uk/liniar_upvc.pdf (copy and paste right to the end of pdf) I think its a slightly older version than the one I have.
I only asked about the angles as the fixed angle posts (135&150 degree) are much more heavy duty.

To be honest the way most company's I have worked for just specify the largest post that will fit the angles. Until I started up on my own (after 15 years of fitting for others) and did my own research I had never even heard of spreader plates and bay pole jacks :confused:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back