BCO Inspection results

FredFlintstone said:
steve1811uk said:
Glad it went well with the BCO. Just a few questions really as I'll be meeting up with the BCO in April. Is he coming back or is that it? Did you attach the sockets etc. to the wiring or have you still got to do that? What conduit did you use? How did you fix that conduit to the wall? and finally how do you plan on covering the conduit wiring? Hope I do as well on my BCO visit. Steve.

Hi Steve,

BCO is coming back. This was first fix inspection. Concentrating solely on the installation and routing of the cabling with no sockets or fixings connected or anything. He looked at absolutely everything, tracing cables up the wall, across ceilings, through joists, down other walls etc. He commented on some existing cabling that passes over heating pipes etc which I'm already aware of and which I'll be rectifying although he did say that he was just commenting on this - he can't force me to fix it.

There was a bit which I'd already covered up (oops) which he was happy to pass based upon searching for the cables behind the plasterboard with a detector and based upon the fact that he was happy with the rest of the installation. He pointed out that he could, if he so wanted, make me uncover them for him to inspect. This comes back to the point about if they feel you're taking them for a ride. Because I'm open and honest and not trying to hide anything, they have no reason to believe I'm trying to hide anything, they just realise I was a bit too keen to get the bare brick covered.

I used a mixture of conduit. I had a huge overstock of that rectangular stuff with the removable top from some work that was done in my office so I mainly used that because it's easy to fix to the wall, run the cable and then stick the capping on. It also had the added advantage that the capping can be removed so the BCO could inspect the cable itself (something which I didn't think he'd do. I thought he'd just want to see the route of the cable but maybe he was just being nosey. I fixed this conduit to the wall with screws and just stick a little bit of insulation tape over the screw head in case it chaffed the cables.

I also used a bit of oval conduit and fixed that to the wall with conduit clips. I only used this on short runs though because I figured it was easier with the rectangular stuff.

I'll be covering the conduit with plasterboard, dot n dab. I know that means the plasterboard will be further from the wall than if I'd chased the conduit into the brickwork but, the walls aren't level and I would have had to leave this gap anyway to ensure the walls were plumb. There is one wall which I will float and set over the conduit and this has the same plumb issues anyway.

BCO will be back again. I've got to let them know when I'll be ready for them and they will come and inspect the new wiring with the accessories attached. I need to speak to them about this though because I'm a little unclear of I should be doing this, getting them back for the next inspection and then doing the CU or if I should be doing the CU at the same time so it can be inspected along with the new circuits at the same time.

Good luck with your BCO inspection. Nothing to be scared of (although I wasn't thinking that the ight before the inspection). Just be open and honest and if you have any questions then line 'em up for the BCO - they're very helpful.

Regards

Fred.

Thanks Fred for the tips. I'm doing a similar job to you and am a bit apprehensive about the BCO as I guess you were too. I plan to use dot and dab with plasterboard too as the plastering on my main kitchen wall is attrocious and can't afford a plasterer. I was going to clip the cables directly to the brick but I may use the oval conduit like you did in order to make future modifications easier. Or I may use capping, it should be possible to pull cables through that I think. My biggest problem will be trying to get the whole new kitchen completed in a week (taking a week off work) as the BCO inspections will definitely hold things up. I've also got the CU to fit as well ! Don't know in what light the BCO will look at that job. Steve.

Sponsored Links
Your BCO's are keen!!

On 2 rewires that I did in 2 different BC areas, the first spent <10 mins in the property (most of that was just chatting and asking me a reg question) and in the other he asked me if I was happy with the routing of the cables (re zones, notches & holes in joists).. each of these notifications cost >£100 ... what a joke!!

P.S. I am now in the process of becoming a DI £400 odd sovs a year.. easily covered by the work that I do :)

Sponsored Links
out of curiosity, would the DI fee be tax decuctable? it is an expense after all.

It should be, as a necessary expense, if you are declaring taxable income as a DI.

ColJack said:
just for my own clarification here..

by unprotected you mean not rcd protected?

That's right.

ColJack said:
if so then what is the problem with fitting an rcbo just to satisfy the BCO?

Cost. Also, I don't think it's necessary, it is afterall for a fridge and freezer which will (hopefully not be moved for a very long time.

ColJack said:
and let me get this right in my head..

you have a ring which just feeds 3 fused spurs?
one for the cooker ignition / extract, one for the fridge and one for the freezer?

Yup. I know a radial in 2.5mm T&E with a 20a MCB would probably be the most option (is that right?) but I figured I may as well stick a ring in there given the fact that it is no more difficult (still gotta pull one cable through from the CU so why not just do two at the same time).

Also, I'd originally planned on sticking the single oven on this circuit hence the decision for a rind rather than radial. However, after planning it and doing the prep, I subsequently decided to use the existing 6mm cable to a CCU, then onto a cooker outlet in 6mm.

ColJack said:
all other sockets on their own rcd protected circuit?
That's correct.

May not be the most conventional way to do it but it works for me (and hopefully BCO on the next visit.

nozspark said:
P.S. I am now in the process of becoming a DI £400 odd sovs a year.. easily covered by the work that I do :)

Think that makes you nozdi - a spark is an electrician.

Lights blue touch paper and stands well back ;)

get an rcbo from the DIY sheds, fit it on the day of the BCO's visit, then as soon as he is satisfied and out the door, then change it back and return it saying it was not needed..
if it comes in a plastic bag, one of those JML handy bag sealers and a stanley knife do the trick..

WE all know it's fine, and that the BCO is just being pedantic, but once the fridge is fitted and the cupboards are in then no one will be able to plug anything into them..

you could alternatively fit non standard socket outlets and the corresponding plugs to the apliances, this still leaves you with the original problem of the wife changing appliances while you are away, but you could make up 2 extension leads with the non standard plug on one end for her to use until you get back.. just remind her to cut the plugs off the broken appliance..

you can get ones with the earth is "T" shaped, or ones where the earth pin is round, and i've also seen ones where the earth pin is horizontal..

non.jpg

http://www.olson.co.uk/non_standard.htm

the non standard plugs shouldn't be any different to wire than normal ones and the cards for wiring plugs are dead easy to follow. Anyone who claims they can't do it is just making excuses.

I was thinking a cheap remedy would be to use flex outlet plates, and cut the plugs off. In this case you would need to use an FCU, not a switch, above the worktop.

Not ideal, since IMO it is handy to be able to quickly pull the plug out when you need to pull the fridge out for repair. And I don't think a socket, behind the fridge and under the counter, can reasonably be expected to be used for the lawn mower, when the house and kitchen are littered with RCD sockets.

As I understand the regs, you can have unprotected sockets providing they are labelled as such. That shouldn't be a problem if they're out of sight?

And if an appliance socket is in a cupboard or behind an appliance, how likely is it that it will be used to supply equipment for use outdoors??

Ask me round & I'll challenge him, the jobsworth....

EDIT: Soorrrrry John. :oops:

I posted this without getting as far as yours. Berk.

red rose vs. white?

Anyway, the Berkeley Hunt rides round Gloucestershire way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back