Becoming a corgi registered boiler engineeer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help. Im looking into studying to become a boiler engineer. I have searched the net and there are loads of courses with various prices. I want to become fully qualified to fix boilers and service boilers. I need a course to cover everythign so I could start working for myself. I am currently working full time so night courses or working from home would be good for me.

Can anyone give me any advice or links to special courses to do this? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Those courses won't be worth squat.

And lesson number one.

CORGI means nothing.

It is Gas Safe.

You REALLY need to research some more before even thinking about qualifications.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Its good I can get advice from someone who knows something about this.

What do you recommend I research into? Just my nievety I guess thinking about becoming corgi registered. Do you no need to be corgi registered to mess with gas?

Sponsored Links
your so helpful on this site. Does nobody have anything decent to say? Just want a little advice thats all.

Unless you get a formal qualification, the course isn't worth its paper.

NVQ and/or C&G are what you need.

Not sure hat advise you really want? Look at your local colleges for courses. Research the industry. Forget CORGI - FFS they have been out of hte picture for years.

That slip up alone was probably enough to make the professionals here think you're not serious.

Don't expect to be earning £70K a year either.

Thanks for the advice Dan. Ill look further into these. Basically, i'm looking for a career change, and i'm best doing this while I still have a job to fund the course. I'm not looking to make millions. I'm just looking for work in a new and stable environment. I believe there will always be a requirement for boiler engineers and plumbers.

your so helpful on this site. Does nobody have anything decent to say?
Someone coming on a forum full of Gas Safe guys asking about becoming a Corgi-registered boiler engineer is asking for trouble, just as the cold-caller claiming to be calling from the gas board is.

A lot of my customers still call it corgi so dont be put off by the lack of advice because of the word corgi!!

Research it thoroughly and work hard at it and then youll be qualified etc..

My pennies worth, there are plenty of s/e guys on probably 1 or 2 days a week because there is very little work, if you just want to concentrate on servicing and repairs you'll struggle even more as most of this work is tied up with the large providers. If you have a steady wage with a secure job KEEP IT- Don't change it because you're bored, you may end up losing your house, wife (partner) and car.

If you are looking for a career change, you're better of looking for something that has a much better supply/demand ratio than boilers.
Thousands of fully qualified guys with years and sometimes even decades of experience have chucked it in over the past few years. If those couldn't keep it going, imagine how hard it is to get started with no experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back