Been put off combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Having read all the bad things about combi boilers i'm am begining to be put off. I've just had a plumber in to give me a quote for a maxi 105he and new radiators.
We wanted to get rid of the water tanks in the loft and airing cupboard, to give more room for a conversion. We also wanted new radiators (everone of the existing ones are different - don't ask)

Now i don't know what to do! - Huge plumes of condensed water in the garden doesn't sound good, neither does poor quality and unreliability.

Will have to think again.
Andy

Sponsored Links
Any new boiler must be condensing now.

Pluming only occurs during cold damp weather like November when you dont want to be in the garden.

All modern thinks like cars and TVs are complicated. Modern boilers are reliable but like everything they do go wrong sometimes. Getting it properly installed by a CORGI registered engineer who power flushed the system is likely to reduce the chances of problems.

Most problems are caused by poor installation usually because the customer accepts a low quote from a cowboy.

Tony Glazier

Thanks Tony Glazier

That makes sense.
The guy who came seemed genuine enough and he is Gorgi Registered.

Andy

Pressurizing an old heating system allways worries me, if the existing system has been put in correctly from day one with inhibitor you should be okay but that is rarely the case, if the rads are over 15 years old beware.l

Sponsored Links
Thats very true kevplumb

we are having all new radiators PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN

Thanks
Andy

Thats good as I expect you will be having all new valves so cuts down the chances of losing pressure from weeping rad valve spindles as well.

The main question with combis is whether you need more than about 1 1/2 taps on at once (max) Maybe an electric shower in the loft conversion would be a Good Thing.

Personal opinion with condensers at the moment: stick to a big name or one known for reliability. At least everyone will know how to fix it then.

Thanks to all

The combi the installer has recommended is the MAXI 105HE
We're also having new themostat valves all round.

Thanks Again

Andy

Do not put that particular boiler in it is crap, you are best going for a glowworm 35 CXI or a worcester condenser. Every boiler has its faults but for performance and quality stick with either of them.

gasman said:
Do not put that particular boiler in it is rubbish, you are best going for a glowworm 35 CXI or a worcester condenser. Every boiler has its faults but for performance and quality stick with either of them.

you are talking nonsense Gas Man how can you say this boiler is rubbish its only been on the market about month or so and its based on the highly reliable Baxi 105E which is not only very popular but has great performance :p sorry i would agree with you if you werent talking out of your Ass :mad:

gasman was right :(

I had a Baxi 133 HE Plus put in on the 23/07/05 (1 year, 11 months ago) and it has worked fine for a year and a bit, but I had a PCB failure 2 months ago at a repair cost of £200 and now the flipping heat exchanger and burner are gone, which is a whopping repair cost of £600 -- the CORGI engineer is recommending I trash the boiler and just get a new one.

Anyone planning to get a Baxi, BEWARE!

AndyJay said:
Hi all
Having read all the bad things about combi boilers i'm am begining to be put off. I've just had a plumber in to give me a quote for a maxi 105he and new radiators.
We wanted to get rid of the water tanks in the loft and airing cupboard, to give more room for a conversion. We also wanted new radiators (everone of the existing ones are different - don't ask)

Now i don't know what to do! - Huge plumes of condensed water in the garden doesn't sound good, neither does poor quality and unreliability.

Will have to think again.
Andy

You don't have to get a combi, why not look at a condensing system boiler?

Good efficiency and no scalding/freezing yer bits when in the shower and someone downstairs opens a tap!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back