Bermuda 552

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to post this in the RGI forum but i'm interested in the views from the BG lads.

Got a call earlier from the in-laws saying the boiler smells funny so i said i'll be there. The boiler was a BG install and 5 star covered untill just before christmas.

Quick look at boiler and soot is visable on the bottom of the burmer tray so to cut along story short after stripping down to the heat ex i'm by a large block of soot.2 hours later and 5Kg of soot the heat ex is clean.
Burners is stripped and found clean as a whistle,injector checked but clean. Gas valve in good working order and regulator functioning and mid range and gas rate matches data plate. FGA is 0.0002. Flue and vents all good, so basicalyy nothing to sugest why we have a large sooty HX.

Mother in law is a nice but untrusting kind of person(watches everyone doing anything in their house) and commented that no BG engineer has ever removed burner case and cleaned/inspected the heat ex. the last 3 BG services only took 15mins(For an openflue :eek: )

the checklist states all radiators warm ok, no leaks but the enginner recommends a powerflush(no problems reported and no samples taken),so not only can he not service an appliance he likes to rip you off by recommending things that as far as he is aware aren't needed.

I'll be ringing the service manager tomorrow any other comments or suggestions.

Lee

Sponsored Links
If i had a tenner for every customer that had said they have never took fire off or burner out when it clearly had (screws missing etc) or i had done it year before i would be a rich man... customers see what they want and if a bit of sh#te gets in wrong place a back boiler can soot up in a week..
your on a loser and soot don`t weigh 5kg so stop exagerating

All right 5kg bit over the top but 3/4+ filled the henry and that doesnt include what was over me and the dust sheets, it was an inch thick all over solid through the vanes and sections of the heat ex.

Yeah thats what a sooted boiler will go like in less than a week . when was last time it was serviced if it came off contract just before xmas it could have been at least 12 months

Sponsored Links
End of August 2007. last service, Nothing removed causing blockage of air to the burner or blockages in the flue.

I know once sooting starts it doesnt take long to block, but shes adament that as in the last 3 visits no-one has ever removed the case and cleaned checked the heat hex.like i said no-one works there with out being watched.

lee.

AS i say heard it from the most nosey over your shoulder customers every year , and used to say well i done it last year and i took everything off most would mummble away never admit they where talking sh#te and still be adamant.. I have never done a 552 without a full strip down they are so p#ss easy and i know how quick they can soot up even if done properly.

M y own mother in law who was one of the over the shoulder brigade swore to me the council guy HAD stripped 552 wall mounted completly down etc etc and done a great job . When i stripped it the original rubble from chopping the flue was still lying inside 8 years later.. As i said to her "And you said"

This was a post looking for opinions not a BG are Sh**e post (i still subbie occasionally to them for install) so thanks.

I know what you mean about people saying "never seen that" just hoped the MIL wasn't one of them. :oops:

Not a case of defending BG its a case of how often customers talk a lot of sh#te and even when you know for a fact they are talking it and can prove they are talking it they still wont admit it and the older they are the worse they are.

Changed a boiler just before xmas that had been installed about 86 now this boiler was not made till about 84/5 customer has lived in the house since 77 and they where adamant they had never had a new boiler since they lived there , they even mentioned brickwork getting altered around the balanced flue .. BUT WE have never had a NEW boiler.
CUSTOMERS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I must agree

many a time a client has told me "the bloke who came here last year didnt do that"

which is amazing as the last bloke who came last year was ME and I knew Damm well i did strip the boiler

the great british public just love trying to stick to the tradesmen at times

:)

I always think that any soot will attract more soot even quicker.

I always take around 1 hour for a typical BBU and fire front service, everything stripped out, cleaned and burner bar blasted with compressor.

Never one to generalise about BG being bad, as I always say it is in the luck of the draw as to the engineer you get out.

Can't see how you could take fire front off and clean properly in 15 mins, let alone full service and tightness test etc.

The 2 most common comments I always get are, 1) oh you've turned up then, and 2) never seen it took to bits like that before :eek:

Cant see how you could take fire front off and clean properly in 15 mins, let alone full service and tightness test etc.

The 2 most common comments I always get are, 1) oh you've turned up then, and 2) never seen it took to bits like that before :eek:

we have heard all this before and some of it is actually true.

i know some bg guys are not doing there open flue servicing properly, christ even the son of a very prominent person in BG is a dodger who sticks his telegan round the back of the fire to get a reading, i doubt 0.0100 would even make him strip it. it takes 45 to infinity depending how good you are.

on the the other side of the coin ive had customers swear the guy last year didnt do that when it was me that did it last year. :rolleyes:

oh and if anyone ever greets me at the door with "i see you've turned up then" the only thing they see is me walking back to the van to drive off to the next job.

Got to a "between 10 and 12" job recently at 12:10, greeted with "oh, you're late". So I sez
"Yes but I'll be early for the next one", and drove off. Made my day!

Got to a "between 10 and 12" job recently at 12:10, greeted with "oh, you're late". So I sez

I will have to try that one! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just like the guy who went to the door of the house and saw a note saying " I'll be home at 5.00" the guy wrote underneith it....Madam so will I!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back