best company for new gas supply from mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

just a quick question

who is the best company to use to install a gas supply into a property that doesnt currently have a gas supply? is it always possible, as long as you are in a town etc?

and is it a difficult and expensive process?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
there is only ONE company. Transco

not anymore there aint breezer

transco are dead is the gas network now open to many many different firms

our is southern gas network

:)

Sponsored Links
Breezer vans look the same but if you look it will say National Grid,, The latest vans are crackers was in one friday built in computer with internet access drop down touch screen out of roof seperate dvd player and sound system. And even somewhere to carry tools. :LOL:

As for cost of putting a service in had that conversation friday and prices have all recently gone up and start around 600 quid thats nearly double what it was a year ago

£600 will be for a standard terrace house front garden distance, about 3-4 metres :eek:

Breezer is half right saying Transco.

You have to get the supply off whichever gas distribution company runs the gas network for that area. The billing is a seperate issue but the network is usually a sole company ie Transco or Southern Gas Networks...

We had Transco (as it was) install gas at our property about 3 and a half years ago - previously it had no supply. I remember us getting a reasonable reduction* on the standard installation by digging the trench from the front of the property to where we wanted the box. Then again, we live in a bungalow with a front garden and hence relatively "easy digging" to the front of the house (the only tricky bit was burrowing under a concrete garden path). Installation itself was a breeze, as they just tunnel in from the road-side and the gas main using a, umm, "tunnelling thing", and then just lay the line and install the box for you - didn't take all that long. I remember the most difficult thing being just the crappy and vague paperwork that needed filling out to arrange the whole thing, but that may well have changed now. I guess the availability is subject to a nearby supply being available, but if it's in town and/or your neighbours are connected...

* Ehhh, can't remember any figures, but I know I consider it worth doing the work :D .

c128 said:
as they just tunnel in from the road-side and the gas main using a, umm, "tunnelling thing",

"Mole", "Grundomat" or "Small Child"... ;)

You will need to decide who you want to buy your gas from first, then 'phone them up and tell them you need a new supply to your property. They will contact NG or whoever they have a contract with, who will then contact you with a price.

Beware though an 'independent gas transporter' will charge you more for your gas than if NG supply the pipes. I know because mine is supplied via an 'independent gas transporter' :cry:

They often send you a map/diagram with the quote form for you to fill in so it is all arranged before they turn up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back