Best consumer units at the moment?

Hi folks,

I know these come in and out of preference as times change, but what is generally considered to be the best consumer unit / RCBO combination at the moment.

Will be needing 14 ways in total.

Cheers!
I have a Hager design 10 high integrity with 22 positions ie 16 spaces for mcbs.
The extra cost of the spaces was minimal so I bought the biggest.
Everything seems fine, plenty of space and the MCBs are cheap.
Only issue is the din rail bends down making it hard to put the lid on

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On reflection it might just on a down hill, either way it's hard to get the lid on. I didn't mean the rail itself is bent, I just mean it bends relative to the unit.
The lid is hard against the top lip, and the bottom is pretty much in the right position.
The wall may not be flat for all I know though!
Make your own mind up. I'd still recommend it though.

Attachments

• 15203671717674679292100689811311.jpg
    15203671717674679292100689811311.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 192
Yea it's likely the wall twisting the body. Had this a couple of times, once you work out where the wall's not level you'll fix that - unless you've overtorqued the screws and totally bent the body :whistle:

I'll go with igg on this one.

Slacken off all the fixing screws and see how the lid fits then. If the fit improves, try tightening each one bit by bit and see if you can see where the distortion is coming from. Then you can pack out the one(s) causing the problem.

Thanks everyone. Rather than quoting each person individually, I'll address the common points.

1) I feel the love for Hager - noted.

2) No I'm not planning on installing it myself although I intend on influencing the specification - hence the question.

3) 'Whatever your electrician recommends' is not always the right answer for reasons that I'm sure are obvious. I want a tidy job with longevity and am not entirely focussed on price. Some contractors are surely inclined towards maximising margin rather than executing the best solution, and could confuse my open mindedness in terms of cost with being an opportunity to make more money...

Cheers!

3) 'Whatever your electrician recommends' is not always the right answer for reasons that I'm sure are obvious. I want a tidy job with longevity and am not entirely focussed on price.
I think the reality is that most of the differences (other than aesthetic ones) relate to ease of installation, rather than 'longevity' or anything functional. Provided one sticks with 'mainline reputable makes', I'm not at all sure that there is much difference between them in terms of the reliability/longevity of the components (MCBs, RCBOs, RCDs etc.) that go into them - and they are really all that can 'go wrong' (the CU itself is just 'a box'!).

Kind Regards, John

I've already written off aesthetics if I'm going for Hager ;)

In terms of it just being a box, I accept that, and could probably have phrased the question better. What I actually was referring to was the best 'solution' in terms of the CU and it's accessories.

More importantly, what's going on here? There's a printed label for the boiler on the sticker kit
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 22.03.03.png

What's going on here?!
Oh sorry pulled that one off when I was adding a front outside socket, still haven't replaced. Agreed the IP rating is not up to scratch without the trunking front on correctly.

Edit oh your eye is ahead of mine, that one is ready for the outside socket but not connected yet. Easier to strip the sheath before inserting. It must have moved.

Last edited:
Oh sorry pulled that one off when I was adding a front outside socket, still haven't replaced. Agreed the IP rating is not up to scratch without the trunking front on correctly.

It was more that there appears to be a cable which has slipped down, as you can see the inner cores? Or am I seeing things (entirely possible!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back