Beware! Win 10 Upgrade Compulsory!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Secure has been getting messages on her screen that her Win 10 upgrade is ready and there is no option to decline, only reschedule.

Apparently MS has been downloading installation files for Win 10 into a secret folder onto Win 7 and Win 8 machines.

She has not opted in to an upgrade.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/beware-win-10-upgrade-compulsory.460009/#ixzz49YeviP86

Does anyone know how to stop this hijack?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993...ly-appearing-as-mandatory-for-some-users.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Win 10 is fine and stable, apart from a change what are you worried about? MS will stop supporting older versions soon.

I beg to differ. An Administrator is not an Administrator in Windows 10. You keep getting prompted for admin rights, drives do not get mapped correctly, in my opinion it is total garbage.
I have a registry hack at work which willprevent Windows from running the update to 10. I will dig it out and post

This requires the use of the Registry Editor. Any errors could have wide-ranging, if not catastrophic consequences. Use at your own risk. Back Up the Registry before starting, just in case. (and check everything twice before proceeding to the next step).

Open Regedit (type into search box, or run from a Command Prompt)

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. Look for a folder WindowsUpdate. If it does not exist, right click on Windows and click New, then Key. Give it the name WindowsUpdate. (If it does exist, then just open it). Right-click on WindowsUpdate and select New DWord (32bit) Value. Give it the name DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1

Next, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. (Same as above) This time look for a folder GWX. If it does not exist, create is (as above). Then open it, right-click it and create a new DWord (32bit) Value and name it DisableGWX. Set its value to 1

Close Regedit, and reboot. You should now have "lost" the Windows Update flag in the System Tray and also the pester to upgrade to Windows 10.

HTH

Sponsored Links
Ahh, I was just about to post up to ask how to get rid of that annoying little box. Thank you. I have many reasons for not wanting to upgrade - one of them being is that I don't think my lappy is compatible - there are no drivers.

I found this on Microsoft's page - not sure if it just gets rid of the nag icon or if it removes the whole upgrade notification thing

To remove the Win10 notification go to Control Panel > Programs & Features

On the left top side you will see “view installed updates” Click that

In the search window (upper right side) paste KB3035583

Right click KB3035583 and click uninstall

You will have to restart your computer

Hi

It looks like KB3035583 was the groundwork to set up your machine to receive Windows 10 as a Windows Update. The second registry key added (above) essentially tells Windows not to allow GWX (Get Windows 10) to run. The first tells your Windows installation not to update the OS (but, of course, still allows patches and bug-fixes.)

HTH

I've got windows7 professional and it has support to 2020 as far as I'm aware. Other versions don't have such extended support if I remember correctly.

Goodness knows what mother did, but she accidentally upgraded to windows 10 last night - I'm frankly amazed that her old Dell D630 laptop is still running with it!

You will all change and/or die eventually.
otherwise we'd all still be using win 3.1 as in 90's, don't mention the heartache of the 80's - To some, a user could appear to be a boffin as he/she stoked the PC from a command prompt... Good old bad old days. Memories of PCTools etc, it was great learning to utilise the thing, still use some of the commands today
Get 10 before the free option goes away, the system, may evolve but it isn't going away...

We have never had it so good !

-0-

Is it true that 10 can detect software that's not legit? Is it cracked software it's picking up? I've not got cracked software - was just asking.

Also, can you download 10 but not install it yet?

I think that this is absolutely true, but you've got the wrong subject. I suggest that Microsoft and Windows might die soon.

Windows is only now installed on 14% of mainstream computational devices. 86% of computers run Linux or at least some flavour of *nix. That figure increases dramatically towards 99% Linux if you include embedded systems. Windows 8 never took off, everyone still wants Win 7. No one is using Win 10 voluntarily and you'll find it difficult to find objective statistics that don't include forced sales of Win 10 on new machines. The industry is calling Win 10 the new Vista.

Win 10 is meant to be the last version of Windows. In that respect, Microsoft are probably right...

I think that this is absolutely true, but you've got the wrong subject. I suggest that Microsoft and Windows might die soon.

Windows is only now installed on 14% of mainstream computational devices. 86% of computers run Linux or at least some flavour of *nix. That figure increases dramatically towards 99% Linux if you include embedded systems. Windows 8 never took off, everyone still wants Win 7. No one is using Win 10 voluntarily and you'll find it difficult to find objective statistics that don't include forced sales of Win 10 on new machines. The industry is calling Win 10 the new Vista.

Win 10 is meant to be the last version of Windows. In that respect, Microsoft are probably right...
Good points.
Although I have no problems with my pre-installed Windows 10, my wife has certainly had problems with her 'upgrade' from W8.1

The interesting thing, as I have posted elsewhere, is that Microsoft have been aware of the 'start button not working' problem for over six months and appear to have done nothing. All in all, I'd agree that Windows 7 was/is the best OS. Why didn't they just stick with that?

Whilst it's a bit far fetched to suggest that Microsoft might die soon, they do need to watch their step. If W10 problems are not addressed effectively soon, people will begin to opt with the more reliable Apple and Linux OSs.

Windows 7 was/is the best OS

Agreed. I think that for most people, Win 7 was the pinnacle of the Microsoft desktop OSs. It' no shame. All products reach a peak at maturity and then slip into decline. It's the natural order.

With respect, the Start Button issue is a trivial distraction. It's only a symptom of buggy software that's easily resolved. The problems facing Microsoft are much broader and more ephemeral. If you undertake a rudimentary PEST analysis of Microsoft's position, you'll see various forces pulling at them. Responses to anti competitive behaviour, a closed source mentality, the privacy issues and the successful rise of more agile competitors all threaten them. Not sure really why there's a bull market for the shares though, they don't reflect stagnant revenues. Must be sexy to hold a position, like Google or Oracle.

As far as you're concerned with consumer exposure to Microsoft, Windows desktop only constitutes 16% of Microsoft's revenue and 14% of computers. With the write off of the phone business, falling market share of the XBox, pretty soon all consumer revenue might dry up leaving just the enterprise segment. So as I said, for Joe public, Microsoft will die.

Sponsored Links
Back