Beware! Win 10 Upgrade Compulsory!

With respect, the Start Button issue is a trivial distraction. It's only a symptom of buggy software that's easily resolved.
Yes, I agree that it's more of an inconvenience than a serious problem but, on the other hand, if it is easily resolved why haven't MS resolved it with a Windows Update?

Sponsored Links
Honestly, I don't know. I suggest that they don't either. They probably can't decide a future strategy whilst witnessing the decline of their desktop. Don't be surprised, a lot of companies face these dilemmas. Look at the untenable market positioning of the Defender vehicle, and Argos' continuing to print a 1300+ page paper catalogue for all it's customers who use mobile phones to shop on line.

I migrated my last remaining Windows machine earlier this year so it's 14% - 1 more desktop.

Sounds like Microsoft are giving up!

A bit short-sighted, though, as they've just invested presumably millions in creating their latest Windows 10 OS. In a way, it's also a bit worrying that if they are 'giving up' for how much longer will they support W10?

Well that's only for Joe public. Win10 won't be rolled out in the Enterprise back end for years still. Big companies can turn off the compulsory upgrades anyway. It's bad press to take down a hospital's blood bank. That's how you get yourself onto Newsnight. Server 2016 isn't even out yet. Lots of outfits still running Server 2008, never mind Server 2012.

You never know, by the time Win10 based code hits the Enterprise database, you might be running Linux. Or XXXXOS, invented by that kid in a garage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back