BG boiler salesman - and Vaillant boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I will be updating our old heating system in the not to distant future and have been doing a lot of research into different products, eg rads, boilers, programmers. etc

I had kind of made up my mind that i wanted a vaillant eco tec 828 but when we had BG salesman round to give us a quote he stated that baxi and vaillant are essentially the same thing built in the same factory with just different covers.

After asking the salesman to leave after he had given us his unbelievably high quote, i got to thinking, was he BSing me about the boiler because they don't fit vaillant and wanted the work and of course they do fit baxi or was he telling the truth.

Anybody out there with an informed answer to this query. (No... a bloke told me down the pub that....... Please)

Any body had any good or bad experience with my boiler suggestion.

we want high effiecientcy, low breakdown, gas condensing system boiler (not combi) to feed gravity pressure hot water and pressurised central heating. ie losing the header tank for the central heating but keeping the cold water tank.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about Baxi and Vaillant being the same, but Glow-worm and Vaillant are pretty much the same. BG used to sell a rebadged Glow-worm (may still do) under their own name. Get some quotes from some local CORGI installers and you'll knock at least a grand off BGs price. You'll get the same job if not better.

Thanks for that.

Thinking about it i think he did say Glowworm not baxi, but might have also said that baxi same as worcester??

BG sell lots of rebadged boilers.

most manufacturers use generic parts made by others in their boilers, cuts initial costs and ensures a cheaper parts supply in the future.

Sponsored Links
Not going to use BG as they quoted £85 to run a piece of 32mm plastic pipe through the wall from an upstairs cupboard and down the wall to a gulley and lots of similar extras on top of the £1500 installation cost on top of the boiler costs which were £250 dearer than buying them from a supplier.

My neighbours a Corgi registered plumber who has said he will install the boiler for me and register it. :cool:

i will be doing the rest of the upgrade with the assistance of my dad who has fitted a number of heating systems in the past.

Really want to know peoples opinions on makes of boiler.

If not Vaillant how about Worcester :?: .

As we are saving on the installation costs we are happy to spend more on a quality boiler.

Hi I was just reading your comments and wanted to say go for the vaillant ecotec plus 828 and I`m not just saying that because I work for them its just that with our product you get 2 year parts and labour warranty and I dont think any other manufacturer offers that. You cant go wrong with German Engineering! :)

Hi I was just reading your comments and wanted to say go for the vaillant ecotec plus 828 and I`m not just saying that because I work for them

In that case you will be able to answer the question, are vaillant boilers the same as glowworm?

Teahead said:
Hi I was just reading your comments and wanted to say go for the vaillant ecotec plus 828 and I`m not just saying that because I work for them

In that case you will be able to answer the question, are vaillant boilers the same as glowworm?

he might not if hes never seen inside a gloworm and his boss hasnt told him so

BG salesman round to give us a quote he stated that baxi and vaillant are essentially the same thing
!! Nearly spilled me Creme de Menthe.

Some Baxi/Potts are coming with 5 year guarantees now though, and do seem to be pretty reliable.

the V chappie said:
You cant go wrong with German Engineering!
Pity about the Giannoni bits they use though... nicht wahr?:D
Some of the Vaillant and Glowwie and Saunier Duval boilers have looked very similar, (all Hepworth Heating) but they seem to have diverged.
I'd still have the Vaillant.

Yes Vaillant Bought Gloworm about 3 years ago and also Saunier Duval the gloworm/SD range are all similar but Vaillants are completely Different (Reputation of being the Mercedes/BMW of the boiler world) Most Gloworms now use vaillant parts at the end of the day its a vaillant boiler with a Gloworm badge. same as a Baxi Is a Potterton (or other way round)

Gloworm Products 1 year warranty - 2nd year parts only

All our engineers are trained on all products.

Just be aware with the ecotec it has a filter on the return pipe so if your system is mucky then filter will block so get a powerflush done that is a common problem and as i say to the installers we didnt put the muck in at the factory so its an installation fault.

is the vaillant the same as the glow worm in respect of all the plastic , push fit and clips.

baxi and vailliant both use giannoni heat exchangers which is why I would go for a worcester

I understand the Vaillant no longer use the Giannoni HE and have had their own ( cheaper ? ) design knocked up for them somewhere.

As far as using your neighbour, he is only CORGI registered when working for his employer so if he works for someone else he is NOT registered if he works for you. If he is self employed than thats fine! If not then avoid!

Tony

The primary heat exchangers have a thermal fuse in them too. If it`s tripped due to excessive heat, no resetting, full replacement! Although on the ecotec range it`s an easy job. I like them and think they`re good pieces of kit. Only time will tell. Thought the same thing about my ex wife too. How wrong can a man be? :rolleyes:

Strachan said:
If it`s tripped due to excessive heat, no resetting, full replacement!

Thought the same thing about my ex wife too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back