Bindweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That dreaded word for most gardeners.
Next to my garden there is some council owned land, and on it, a lot of bindweed grows, is there a way of stopping it?
Could I put a plate or soemthing under the fence to stop the roots from growing under? Or do I have to try and attack it with round up?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
We used to live next door to an old chap, who because of ill health was unable to tend his garden, we noticed the rapid growth of the bindweed on his property and dug along the boundary to about 18" and placed some old corrugated sheeting in and back filled. This kept the bindweed at bay for a good many years but it eventually found its way through.

If you already have it in your garden then as breezer suggests, the only real way to get rid of it is to dig it up. Watch the roots though, the tiniest of fragments will grow into a new plant. As soon as you see the new growth zap it with roundup or similar.

Good Luck

EVERY little bit of a root will grow! It is an horrendous plant, however, some people seem to like it as they let it flower! :evil:

One way I found to control it, at my last home, was to mix some STRONG weedkiller up, then find a few old yoghurt pots and bed them into the ground near a tip of a tendril, feed the tendril into the pot, fill with the super strong weedkiller, and put a stone on it.

The stone is there to (a) keep the bindweed in the liquid until enough has been absorbed into the plant to kill it, root and all, and (b) to KEEP THE WILDLIFE OUT and stop them from drinking what is basically, poison.

Obviously, don't do this if you have young children. Providing you can keep your pets off it, it should be safe to use, but at your own risk. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi, may have to try that, pretty sure I got rid of everything on my side, but it it the council land on the other side!
With the tendril idea, do you need to put leaves into the pot too, or cut the tendril off in any way?
Cheers

Giblets46 said:
With the tendril idea, do you need to put leaves into the pot too, or cut the tendril off in any way?
Cheers
No, just get as much of the tendril, leaves and all, into the pot that you can, without spilling the liquid, then cover it all up with a flat stone or somesuch.

Just to keep the bindweed in the weedkiller long enough for it to absorb plenty, and keep the birds/wildlife out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back