black mould on windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on the west coast of Ireland, have just had a 30q. extension built. Black mould is starting to appear in corners and on the inside of the double glazed windows. How is this possible? The room is heated and vented regularly.
Thanks
Sean.

Sponsored Links
What is the room used for?

Do you dry washing in it, or is it used for cooking or washing?

What form of ventilation do you have?

It's a small hostel. This room has 4 beds not always occupied. The windows have trickle vents and the room is heated and well ventilated after use. It puzzles me that I have mould on the INSIDE of the glass.
Thanks
Sean.

Sponsored Links
Mould is common on the silicone seal around new frame installations if this is not sanitary grade, and on the epdm glazing seals if even a small amount of condensation has formed at the [cold] perimeter of the glass.

This will be the case even if the room is otherwise adequately heated, ventilated and insulated.

You may be onto something. The extension is an awkward shape and no builders were interested(Celtic Tiger) so I had to get one man to build and labour alone in his weekends off. Naturally it took months to build and we had a very wet summer so this may be why the building is not completely dried out even after 1 year. We have had a very wet year this year as well, so I suppose that doesn't help either.
But the mould on the inside of the glass of the windows I cannot understand.
Thanks everyone, I'll give it another summer and see how things go.
Sean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back