Blank plate with connector block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1G socket on a ring. I don't want the socket there anymore, but don't want to do any wiring. Is there such a thing (like a socket from behind, so I can connect the two legs of the ring) that looks like a blank plate from the front?

Tried looking on Toolsation but cannot see anything - any links would be helpful.

If not, is it acceptable to use a suitably rated connector block.

Sponsored Links
I have never come across a blank plate which incorporates conductor terminal connections.
The normally procedure is to, as you you have mentioned is use a 30A connection block and blank plate, this is acceptable.

I have never come across a blank plate which incorporates conductor terminal connections.

Not very common, but they have certainly been made. I'm trying to recall the make of the ones I saw a few years ago; I'm not certain, but I think they might have been Crabtree.

Sponsored Links
Not very common, but they have certainly been made. I'm trying to recall the make of the ones I saw a few years ago; I'm not certain, but I think they might have been Crabtree.
I am sure they do exist, but to be honest I don't really see the benefits of it.
I would personally much prefer to make the connection via a connection block rather than mess about terminating to a plate.

I have a 1G socket on a ring. I don't want the socket there anymore, but don't want to do any wiring. Is there such a thing (like a socket from behind, so I can connect the two legs of the ring) that looks like a blank plate from the front? Tried looking on Toolsation but cannot see anything - any links would be helpful. If not, is it acceptable to use a suitably rated connector block.
I would personally just use a connector block and blank plate, but if you're not comfortable with that, there are lots of things about called 'flex outlet plates' that should do your job - for example this Volex one
The back of that looks like (apologies for quality of rapidly taken photo!):

Kind Regards, John.

Is it 32 amp rated
There doesn't actually appear to be any current rating markings on that one. However, it has very meaty terminals (at least as meaty as those in a 30A connector block) which say they are rated for 3 x 2.5mm² cables, so I would be totally happy to use it in a ring final circuit. Mind you, I'd just use a connector block!

Kind Regards, John.

That's what the Scewfix entry says, yes, but I suspect that may relate to the 'rating' of the 'output flex' (a bit like the way that a socket 'rated' at 13A has to have terminals that can cope with 32A flowing in the circuit); if anyone has time, they could look for the MI. As I said before, with terminals stated as having a capacity of 3 x 2.5mm², certainly at least as large of those in a 30A connector block, I would personally be very happy to use this in an RFC (although I almost certainly wouldn't bother!).

Kind Regards, John.

Had a look at the MK version and the terminals will take 2 x 6mm, which suggests they are the same terminals as sockets and FCUs

http://www.electrium.co.uk/volexframe.htm
Admittedly, the 'name' of the VX9990 is '13A Flex Outlet Plate', the specification doesn't mention current rating at all.

As I said, where will you find it stated that the 'rating' of (the terminals of) a '13A Socket' is at least 32A - I can't say I've ever seen it.

Except for those who are obseessed with 'ratings' and MIs, this is all a bit academic. I have one of these things in my hand, and it's quite obvioulsy at least as capable as a 30A connector block of satsifactorily connecting two conductors carrying up to 32A.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back