Block decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

So I am going to build a single skin garage. The walls will be about 5.8m x 5.6m.
I will be using it for cars, and as a workshop.

Initially I was going to use 100mm dense concrete blocks since I will be hanging a lot of things off the walls, but I am now broken over the decision since I also need some sound insulation (in the event I have loud machinery, e.g. compressor or generator), and decent thermal insulation as I will be spending quite a bit of time in there.

I don't want to do a 2 leaf build due to money constraints, time and space. I'm also not interested in batten+drywall as I need strong fixings for things like ladders, bikes, powertools etc.

I would use aircretes but not sure if anyone would build a garage out of them and since they
are usually 3.5N, I am not sure if they can hold heavy items.
I also have the choice of using cellular blocks (e.g. http://www.buildbase.co.uk/consolite-cellular-dense-concrete-block-02801679R.jpg) but I haven't seen them used much so I don't know of any caveats I should be aware of.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You need 7N solid concrete, for sound and fixing stuff. Definitely not aircretes, or hollow.

You need 7N solid concrete, for sound and fixing stuff. Definitely not aircretes, or hollow.
Hmm, so you are saying a solid 7N block will provide better sound insulation than a cellular block ?

Sponsored Links
If you insulate externally it'll have a slow warm up/cool down time, but you'll be able to hang stuff more easily.

If you insulate externally it'll have a slow warm up/cool down time, but you'll be able to hang stuff more easily.
I suspect that would be even more expensive than internal insulation - and he said he didn't want to go down that route?

I suspect that would be even more expensive than internal insulation - and he said he didn't want to go down that route?
Agreed it might be, but actually he said he didn't want internal due to wanting to hang stuff on the walls not specifically cost. The two skin was due to cost.
I was just putting it out there as I don't know exactly his constraints, I reckon if he did 100-150mm of wool between treated battens externally and a rain screen of some kind, all diy, it wouldn't cost much, far cheaper then a second skin and fine for a garage. As long as there's enough ventilation to keep the wool dry. Proper rendered king span for a house would cost though.

You can do amazing things with chemical fixings and battens though...

Nozzle

I'd do a cavity wall (with a standard cavity) personally.
But you can internally insulate then fix ply to the walls where you need to hang heavy stuff.
Or even do away with blocks and do a timber frame with render board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back