Block off garage entrance to main house + new entrance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been given two different quotes and ways to block off the garage entrance to my house (utility room) and create a new entrance in the hall.

One guy is going to use blocks to close off the entrance and the other guy is going to do a stud wall + plasterboard in both side.

Which one would you go for and the reasons why?

Thanks.

Note: the garage will then be converted in a living space (playroom)

Sponsored Links
Either will do the job.

A pro' builder will opt for the most economical solution in terms of how the wall is tied in, sound abatement, how it will be plastered in later on etc.

If i was building off a timber floor for instance i would choose stud.

Building using masonry can mean making good plaster finishes later on, is a lot simpler. Masonry will offer the greatest sound resistance. Stud partition will allow room for say central heating pipe drops to be concealed more easily

What does the customer want?

Either will do the job.

A pro' builder will opt for the most economical solution in terms of how the wall is tied in, sound abatement, how it will be plastered in later on etc.

If i was building off a timber floor for instance i would choose stud.

Building using masonry can mean making good plaster finishes later on, is a lot simpler. Masonry will offer the greatest sound resistance. Stud partition will allow room for say central heating pipe drops to be concealed more easily

What does the customer want?

I have no preference as long as the job is done properly.

I just thought that because the garage is built by blocks then the entrance would have to close off with block too, as to avoid using two different materials (heard this could lead to crack due to humidity, etc).
Is there any true on that?
If going the studwork option, is sound insulation a must?

Floor will then have to be raised and carpet will go over it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, a plaster connection betwixt stud and masonry can crack.

If however you were able to plasterboard in a way that carried the joint onto the masonry, say a foot or so each side, then you can avoid cracking.

If you were wanting to simply wet plaster flush with existing then i would definitely opt for block/masonry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back