Blocked outside drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved in to a private property last year and have had problems with the outside drain for as long as I can remember it is connected to the gutter and my kitchen and always seems to be blocked I know its nothing from my kitchen blocking the drain so am wondering if it may be the guttering or a third party the drain has a grate that seems to be cermented into place so it is hard to see where it is blocked it is in a communal alley so it tends to flood it out on a daily basis so I really need to sort the problem out soon so I was wondering as I am on a low income if anyone knew of any way of unblocking the drain at minimal expense

Sponsored Links
First step is to get the grid off and check the gully isn't blocked, Once the lid is off you need to get the water out of the trap to check if it's clear. A wet and dry vacuum is ideal for this but the only of you've got a workshop one. The Mrs won't be happy if you use her nice clean indoor one. If you haven't got a vacuum a plastic cup attached to a stick will work to get most of the water out.

If the gully is blocked you need to remove the muck an old serving spoon will do this or you can get purpose designed tools. Have a look at http://www.healthylivingdirect.com/...n drain&SHOP= &PN=Cleaners.html#a44654#a44654

If the gully is clear the blockage may be in the drainage pipework. You need to find an inspection chamber and lift the lid. If the chamber is full as well you need to find the next one until you can pin down the location of the blockage. Once you've found the location of the blockage you may be able to clear it with a set of drain rods but don't mess about trying for hours. I've always found that if I can't clear a blockage with rods fairly quickly you will spend all day on it and still not manage to get it clear. It's then time to call in someone to jet it for you. Try and find an independent if you can it's generally cheaper.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back