Boiler airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after some advice please.
A couple of days I had my central heating drained/cleaned.
Next morning the boiler fired up to heat the water (conventional vented system) and theres lots of sloshing noises coming from the boiler, boiler cuts out after 5 mins then starts back up and on it goes trying to heat the water.
I turned on heating, checked the rads no air when bled , checked pump next to cylinder again no airl came out so all good.

Boiler still making lots of sloshing noises so I expect it's air trapped but don't know how to get it out.
I noticed above the boiler on the flow side there is a drain off valve, if I cracked this open would it expel the air ?
The boiler has worked fine up until now it is old it's a potterton prima f50
Any advice anyone !

Sponsored Links
Who carried out the cleaning and was it vented at this time? Sometimes air can linger in a system, what do you get at a rad when trying to bleed?

Do you have access to the pump? There is a screw that can be opened like below - very slowly let the air out.

1696589325200.png

Who carried out the cleaning and was it vented at this time? Sometimes air can linger in a system, what do you get at a rad when trying to bleed?
Water comes out all the rads, no air at all.
It was vented at the time and plumber did the job, trying to get them back but obviously busy, just thought something simple I could try.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Do you have access to the pump? There is a screw that can be opened like below - very slowly let the air out.

View attachment 316071
Erm, no ... they are gate valves with the heads removed, the screws are for tightening the wheel head onto the valve. They're for isolating the pump if it's being replaced, without having to drain down.

OP, is you system sealed or open vent and is the boiler the highest point in the system? The flow and return head out the top of the boiler so it shouldn't really trap air in the HEX unless it's the highest point in the system.

Reactions: CBW
Erm, no ... they are gate valves with the heads removed, the screws are for tightening the wheel head onto the valve. They're for isolating the pump if it's being replaced, without having to drain down.

OP, is you system sealed or open vent and is the boiler the highest point in the system. The flow and return head out the top of the boiler so it shouldn't really trap air in the HEX unless it's the highest point in the system.
System is vented with 2 tanks in the loft and cylinder on landing, boiler is in kitchen downstairs in 2 storey house

Radiators all heating up fine, just when do the hot water only lots of sloshing water sound from boiler when on and flame doesn't burn long before boiler shutting down and restarting.

Radiators all heating up fine, just when do the hot water only lots of sloshing water sound from boiler when on and flame doesn't burn long before boiler shutting down and restarting.
Could be airlock at the cylinder, maybe releasing air at the air vents there if fitted?

I recently had to partially drain down a system and had loads of problems recharging the system.

I spoke to the customer and he told me that there was a little vent that needed to be opened on the top of a pipe above the heating pump. Do you have any such vent?

Are you getting hot water?

As suggested, the primaries (main flow and return pipes) to cylinder may need bled. Do you have 1 motorised valve or 2?

Those are valves, to allow the pump to be swapped, without draining the system.
C'mon Harry ... keep up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back