Boiler Change - BAXI or Potterton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to replace a boiler in a rental property as it has broken down and gas company say economically not viable to repair. Quite annoying considering they have had 7 years fault free premiums out of us.

We have narrowed our choice down based on cost and a 7 year warranty to BAXI Combi Duo-Tec 28 £1001 or Potterton Combi Titanium £975.

Grateful if you have experience of these models, can you state your preference?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Get a second opinion on the repair and also check around for sourcers of fixed price repairs, I think SSE do them for £150. Most manufacturers will anyway.

What boiler do you have now?

Take a look at the Intergas Rapid 32 - £565+vat with a three year warranty, extendable to seven years for an extra £125. Heat exchanger has a seven year warranty as standard. Intergas have been using the same heat exchanger design for 20 years and have never had one fail. Very simple design with only four moving parts, so there's hardly anything to go wrong.

As above though, might be worth further investigation as to whether your existing boiler can be repaired. Also a good lesson for you about boiler insurance policies - you're better off keeping the money in the bank and paying a good local independent when you need one than burning it on a policy that doesn't come good when you need it

Sponsored Links
It is a Baxi. It is exactly 8 years old. I am disgusted about the policy. Really disgusted. As a landlord, we often hear stories of 'my landlord left it weeks before getting the boiler repaired'. We wanted to offer our tenants peace of mind for any possible breakdowns. We had 7 years cover with BG at £40 per month, switched over to Homserve in January to save money and bingo! Best thing is, we have three properties on Homeserve Policies now. They will all be cancelled and the money can go into a saving pot/reserve fund from now on.

I'm going to call Baxi in the morning - they do an out of policy repair but if they can't fix due to economics, they might at their discretion, offer a reduced price replacement boiler.

So do u have a duotec now?

Just to rub salt in the wound Bg would have replaced the heat exchanger.

Also I'd be very surprised if the main heat exchanger has failed on a duotec.

it will be a baxi solo that has failed. they need careful servicing to last longer than five years which you don't get on a contract. homeswerve are swines and you are best off putting the premiums into a savings account and getting a local independent in to do both your landlords inspections, servicing and any repairs. an independent would have seen the signs of boiler failure and alerted you before the disaster struck.
wherabouts are you, george? someone on here may have spares and the will to get it going again for reasonable cost. i have two of these boilers which are new and reserved for spares (i will not fit them because they are rubbish)
the baxi and potterton boilers you mention are probably identical in all but name and warranty offer. not bad boilers and worth considering.
find a good installer and then go with their advice.

Gutted :(

Yes, Baxi Solo. Always serviced under the care contract.

Is repairable though....although you will be chucking good money at a bad boiler. I wouldn't get it repaired if it was mine....you might be lucky though....7 years from a solo with no faults.....a new world record. :)

Anyway - back to the original question - Baxi or Potterton? I'm guessing it doesn't make any real difference as it seems they are the same company now?

Are those the fitted prices on the boiler, George? Bargain if they are but a bit steep if the fitting is extra.
Your solo was a heat only boiler and you are asking about combi boilers. Presumably you are converting to a combi? Potterton Titanium gets my vote because it is identical and cheaper. But baxi platinum has ten years warranty.
Where are you located?

They are almost identical inside and just branded differently.

As said above not a terrible boiler and the only faults that come up often are no more frequent than other boilers.....they love to bend ignition probes at a quick rate but thats a cheap fix

Actually I don't think it is Solo. Tenant just emailed pics. It says BAXI Combi 80 HE Instant Heat

The price is boiler only.

Homeserve gave me a price of just over a £1000 for a 24kw ideal boiler fitted. I feel that a 24kw is too small it is a very decent sized 2 bed house. Also the Ideal only has a two year guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back