Boiler circuit drawing....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, please ignore my dodgy drawing :mrgreen:

I've got to get the room ready where my boiler's going in. I've drawn a sketch of whats I think I needed.

2 heat zones off shunt/mixer valves
Hot water comes off the boilers internal coil at mains pressure.

I've included a calmag gold for the incoming, spirotech mb3 on return to the boiler from the heat zones. Or would it be best before the shunt/mixer valves on each zone so 2 all together?

Anything you think I've missed(apart from an isolation valve on the hot water)?

I've 3 separate filling loops for 2 circuits and expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
So its a combi boiler on an s plan ? Why are you using mixing valves , 3 filling loops and pipework that wont work ?

So its a combi boiler on an s plan ? Why are you using mixing valves , 3 filling loops and pipework that wont work ?

Not quite a combi boiler on an S plan.

Its a biomass boiler with integral store that the heating coil sits in. This is where the DHW is generated.

It uses mixing valves for the heat zones as its the most efficient way of doing it.

I've put 3 filling loops, one for each heat zone and one for the expansion. I guess I could run a t to the heating zones but its much of a muchness I think?

Does the pipework make sense now?

Sponsored Links
Why 3 filling loops?

Put the EV on the return.

I thought it better than running a T to the separate zones? One for the expansion vessel.

Whats your thoughts on the MB3? one on each return before the mixer valves or just one going to the boiler? My head is saying everything is better covered on before the mixer valves. Its a 100% new install, however on the heat side there are 6 cast iron radiators.

I think the quality of the MB3 are the least of your worries.

How you were giving advice on another members thread on heating design when you post a picture like that is beyond me.

Sorry.

This is the factory diagram for one heat zone....

I'm having 3 but only using 2 initially so I've left that out .

I think the quality of the MB3 are the least of your worries.

How you were giving advice on another members thread on heating design when you post a picture like that is beyond me.

Sorry.

You've nothing to be sorry about. I've expanded on my drawing whats going on inside. Its not quite the norm. I'm not sure where I'm mentioned anything about design, just other options :LOL:

Have you had biomass before? Ever installed one? Do you have any experience of putting together heating systems? Just inquizative.

Have you had biomass before? Ever installed one? Do you have any experience of putting together heating systems? Just inquizative.

Never had biomass before, it arrives in a few weeks so just getting background pipework right in my head. I'm not installing it, just plumbing the room ready.

I've plumbed my last 2 houses, however they were regular system type oil boilers that obviously worked in a very conventional way.

Are you running through plates for some reason?
Why a filling loop for each zone?
One filling loop and the expansion on the return close to the boiler.
Have you organised commissioning of the appliance? If your commissioning engineer isn't happy with your design he may not sign it off for you payments.
Without being at all rude, I think you need some serious help with your design, maybe a bit more than just altering that drawing.
Not trying to put you down.

Are you running through plates for some reason?
Why a filling loop for each zone?
One filling loop and the expansion on the return close to the boiler.
Have you organised commissioning of the appliance? If your commissioning engineer isn't happy with your design he may not sign it off for you payments.
Without being at all rude, I think you need some serious help with your design, maybe a bit more than just altering that drawing.
Not trying to put you down.

I put a filling loop for each zone instead of a t.

On the factory drawings the expansion is on the hot flow, that's why I did the same.

Commissioning etc is all sorted.

Whats actually wrong with the rough plan/drawing compared to the factory one? I'm open to any criticism on it.

So if you fill one loop, don't you think the others will fill too? Think about the pipework...

So if you fill one loop, don't you think the others will fill too? Think about the pipework...

Yes I do, I was expanding on the factory diagram, I did the diagram before I read about how the valves work.

Why would you fit an expansion on the return when all the diagrams I've seen for biomass have on the flow?

Apart from the extra filling loops, question over expansion placement whats wrong with my diagram based on how the boiler works?

Thanks for your structured replies, its useful having someone with an open mind looking at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back