Boiler commissoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please clarify the regs/laws on commissioning new boilers, I'm getting differring opinions from our plumbers.

We have rentals, in the last few months have had 2 new boilers installed. One plumber commissioned it. The other plumber who installed another said it doesn't need commission as whoever does your annual gas safety inspection essentially provides you a certificate for safety.

I know for a fact in years gone by we've had boilers installed without them being commission. I worry that if we ever sell, we will have problems or do the annual gas safety certs surfice?

Sponsored Links
The installer must commission the boiler as per the instructions and complete the benchmark book.

A landlords gas safety inspection certificate is totally different, and the person that suggested it is clearly a ******.

With no Benchmark & Commissioning the manufacturer will not provide a warranty for the appliance.
If you're a Landlord you're putting your tenants in danger by employing installers that'll not complete the installation.

The installer must commission the boiler and record this on the Benchmark relevant page, if you require the manufacturer to call under a warranty then they wont cover you and should disconnect the boiler from the gas supply unless you agree to pay them to commission it, dont use the idiot again that told you someone else would commission it.

Sponsored Links
I know for a fact in years gone by we've had boilers installed without them being commission. I worry that if we ever sell, we will have problems or do the annual gas safety certs surfice?

Do you have a Building Regs compliance certificate for each of the installs? Please tell me that you're not using non GasSafe individuals to fit gas equipment into your (multiple) rental properties.

Yet another cost cutting landlord that is willing to risk their tenants lives for the sake of saving a couple of quid and employing dangerous, incompetent and illegal fitters.

And they wonder why so many of us carry such disdain for them.

Jon

We only use gas safe installers. But it still seems we get conflicting information.

One of the installers has registered the boiler with the manufacturer, but not with gas safe. The other seems to have done both I'm gonna chase it up with the agent.

Yet another cost cutting landlord that is willing to risk their tenants lives for the sake of saving a couple of quid and employing dangerous, incompetent and illegal fitters.

And they wonder why so many of us carry such disdain for them.

Jon

sorry you're completely wrong and out of order. We use a letting agent, who gets the plumbers. All of them are gas safe registered.

If that's the case then I suggest you sack your agent as they are not providing what you pay them for.

Jon

There is no conflicting information regarding this. The person that installs the appliance should be commissioning and notifying to the relevant organisation. It is illegal for anyone else to commission an appliance that has not been installed by themselves as stated I every post above. Not one piece of conflicting information has been given regarding the question you have asked.

Jon

There is no conflicting information regarding this. The person that installs the appliance should be commissioning and notifying to the relevant organisation. It is illegal for anyone else to commission an appliance that has not been installed by themselves as stated I every post above. Not one piece of conflicting information has been given regarding the question you have asked.

Jon

I never said people here gave conflicting information. I'm saying the information from the our plumbers is conflicting in that one says it needs commissiong, the other says gas safety certs cover it.

sorry you're completely wrong and out of order. We use a letting agent, who gets the plumbers. All of them are gas safe registered.

So, have you personally seen the GasSafe ID and verified for each person who has worked on your properties?

Regardless of you using an agent, you still hold responsibility for ensuring that work on your rental properties is legal and complies with the relevant legislation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back