Boiler fan, can I replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 30 years ago I had a vokera combi boiler and I used to change the fan myself when it packed up.
Having read posts on here it looks like u have to be gas safe to even remove the boiler case. So what has changed and does it apply to all boilers? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to be gas safe and G3 registered just to turn a hot water tap on these days. :whistle:

Ok, so 30 years ago it would be ok for me to change the fan but not now? What is G3 registered. Thanks

G3 qualified is the ability to work on unvented cylinders. This does not apply to combis only mains pressure hot water storage cylinders.

As for gas regs, you can work on your own boiler without gas safe registration as long as you are “competent” to do so. This has always been the case. The problem is, in the event something goes wrong, how do you prove you are competent without being certified and if you are certified, why not go the extra and get registered? Should you sell the property and something goes wrong as a result of work on the boiler, “you” will be liable. If competency can be proved then not a problem. However, if it cannot be proved, enjoy a stay at her majesties pleasure along with the guilt trip to go with.

The reason why RGIs do not give advice and this forum like many others bans this kind of advice is that “googling” is not competency. As soon as you work on a gas appliance, a 26.9 check must be completed - these are competencies that are bread and butter to a gas fitter (or they should be).... Anyone can change 3 screws and a plug to fix a boiler... That doesn’t mean to say it is safe.

So in answer to your question. Nothing has changed. But the law will come down on you like a ton of bricks if it goes wrong and trust me, it does go wrong. There is no “innocent mistake” when working on gas in the UK as the law is very clear on this. Part of registration is to understand these laws (CCN1 Cores) as part of competency and by asking the question proves non-competency.

Sponsored Links
There's plenty of threads about competence and working on your own boiler and system, so I won't go into it here.

Without making up statistics on the spot, there is a probability/percentage value, relating to both successful, safe and problem-free diy (or unregistered) work and that which goes on to have catastrophic consequences (and a scale between).

Fortunately, the latter is a much smaller percentage but playing those odds is a risky business as one will not know, until after the fact, into which category they have fallen.

Being "competent" is about having the knowledge, skills, equipment AND backup of a registration scheme in order to leave the equipment you have worked on, in a safe operating condition.

G3 registered covers work on unvented DHW systems where there is a risk of injury and damage due to the uncontrolled release of extremely hot water under pressure and potential explosions. G3 means you have been assessed for competence to work on such systems.

Thank you for your detailed answers.
I suppose that my thinking was/is if the fan is knackered then obviously the boiler won't run, replace the fan , the boiler will work and in theory I have had nothing to do with the gas so no problems.
Yes, I can see that if something were to happen then I could be in trouble .

Fan on most boilers form part of the combustion system, irrelevant of where it sits. Part of a fan exchange should include a couple of other tests ;)

Ok, so 30 years ago it would be ok for me to change the fan but not now? What is G3 registered. Thanks
30 years ago lots of things were technically OK which have since been outlawed as dangerous. We live and learn, or sometimes we die and other people learn.

To be "competent" to change a fan, which is a critical part of the combustion process, you need to be competent to carry out the the 26.9 checks, which includes electronic analysis of the flue gases to ensure the new fan is working correctly and has not adversely affected combustion. If you don't own and know how to use the correct test equipment, you shouldn't change critical combustion parts

I currently have an old vented system with balanced flue so don't have to worry about changing fans etc but have been thinking about changing for a new boiler, just looking at potential costs , I do remember that the fan only lasted a few years, so I suppose if I get someone in to change must be about £300 a time.
This old boiler probably hasn:t cost me £1k
In 22 yrs.

Older simple boilers were and are a lot more reliable than newer condensing boilers, beware the newbie that is forced by their employer to tell you that a new condensing boiler is what you need

Thanks Ian, yes I've been thru all that with the quotes that I have had.
Torn between leaving it or changing but I know that when it breaks down there are no spares available, Gloworm spacesaver mk1,
,Sods law it will break down on a winter's day.

Can u tell me where please, what are main bits, heat exchanger, gas valve??

Can u tell me where please, what are main bits, heat exchanger, gas valve??

Glow Worm Space Saver | eBay

Although I always thought "space saver" was a stretch. Compared to the Fuelsaver, it is massive :)

But seriously, they are solid and very litttle to go wrong with them. I did think the pilot burners were no longer available, but could be wrong, I haven't had to repair one for years.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
not sure if the heat exchanger is still available but everything else is , as per above post most on ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back