boiler gas leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Faint smell of gas in boiler cupboard and at flue outside, this was when boiler not on (apart from pilot). Boiler is an Ideal Mexico floorstanding boiler, probably 10yrs, perthaps slightly more. Has been excellent, only needed the odd thermocouple.

So Transco out, said reading gas at flue and capped off at meter. Boiler cover company called (not BG, another one) and said it'll be the gas valve and have ordered another one. Reason I post is he didn't do any testing at all and said it would be the valve. Thought he'd need to reconnect gas to check and diagnose fault. He was very confident, but I thought some more testing would be needed? Interested to know whether it could be anything else - gas man very confident without any other testing...No reason to doubt him, just worry I'll get a new part and still have the same problem!

Sponsored Links
Apart from any inconvenience it may cause, as you will not have to pay for the parts why worry if he gets it wrong?

A point well made. Inconvenience really - have a 2 week old baby (as well as 2 older ones) and we were capped at the meter by Transco (or whoever they are now) so no hob/gas fire. It's not too cold and have a fan heater and an immersion so can't claim I'm suffering that much. Just would prefer diagnosis first then repair, rather than a swapping of bits until better. We do diagnosis first in my line of work..

My question was does it tend to be the valve in the situation I describe - if it is 95% of the time then who can blame the guy. Otherwise we end up with multiple visits (my Dad had a boiler fault and the guy seemed to just replace bits until he got it right...) Time is valuable to us all.

Sponsored Links
...replying to gas4you in above post, seems like MickyG has given me the answer. I like the boiler, probably not as efficient as Dad's new fangled one (but that keeps breaking down...)

May be relevant.....

Recently went to a similar job, apparent smell of gas outside when boiler off. Boiler was a combi but had a perm pilot.

Transco had turned off the appliance supply and written gas valve on their paperwork.

I relit the appliance and tested everything I could. I found no fault whatsoever with the gas valve. Spoke to the customer and found out that the transco eng had not checked anything on the appliance, just turned off the appliance and done a tightness test, showing no leak.

My actions were to order a new gas valve for the boiler even though I could find no fault. My reason for this was that if I don't change it after a previous engineer has stated it being faulty I may be held liable for future issues. Last hands on the job......

Yes I have tested the appliance, which your engineer has not but I could have come to the same conclusion without the testing. I could have saved myself half an hour.

I must say I would have cut off the boiler and got your hob going at the least afore I left

:(

Very basic transco would have got a reading outside, Anyone with any knowledge knows gas valve failure can be very intermitent so even if he checked it ,it may have shown up as being ok at the time,
Then if he did not fit it you would have moaned when transco cut you off again in a few days time when you smelt it again.

Transco like to turn everything off.

Their guys are not offiocially trained to work on boilers just the be safe ( turn off ).

I would never leave all the gas off.

Boiler gas valves can leak at the seal but cycle them a few times and the leak can stop !

Tony

Thanks for info - very interesting. Not having a go at anyone, just interested whether testing for the fault I described is usual. It seems from your posts that it can't be much else other than the gas valve on my boiler, so the gas man's done the right thing.

Another question (and it's probably glaringly stupid, but what the hell) - why could I smell gas at the flue outside and (not as strong) in the boiler cupboard. In my head I have the idea that there's a seal between inside and outside. ie a leak within the boiler a gas smell at the flue, outwith the seal of the boiler gas smell in the house. Is this idea wrong?

The gas valve is passing such a small amount of gas it is not enough to stay alight under certain conditions so just vents to atmosphere unburnt , boiler seals are not 100%so smell can enter premises,

Agile the guys are officially trained and the vast majority will have something you dont have namely a city and guilds certificate saying they carried out a recognised gas apprenticeship , what they dont now have is corgi registration to strip and work on appliances

Still waiting for parts. Generally how long do gas valves take to come? Might ask them if they'll come back out and reinstate the gas to the rest of my appliances if it's likely to be a long wait...

This is a part that I carry on the van as I see a lot of these boilers
Probably depends upon the engineers workload.
Definitely a part that is readily available.

it would be odd not to be able to source one within an hour (including traveling to pick it up & returning). providing you do not live in a remote area.

..the more I read on here the more I wonder about forgetting the service plan and just paying for servicing/repairs as needed by a local guy. My main reason for having a service plan is the knowledge someone will come quickly and hopefully effect a speedy repair, rather than cost spreading - sounds as though an independant may be the way forward. Is my fairly basic boiler likely to require expensive repairs in future or will it continue to be the odd thermocouple in your opinions??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back