boiler gas leak

I always say that a reasonable independent is far better than a service plan.

Usually I get to repairs the same day when advised before 11 am !

I take appropriate spare parts and get about 95% of boilers going again on first visit.

Your boiler would run for about 20 years and use about five thermocouples or less. About one in a hunderd would have a gas valve fail in 20 years.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I fitted a OF potterton kingfisher for a customer in 1994 and had never been back since but he called me out last Sunday on an unrelated matter and it was he who told me when the boiler was installed and in that time it has had nothing,nada,zero,zilch done to it not even a service :eek:

I've got to go back this month and service it, I also advised him to get a CO alarm seeing as the boiler is in his kitchen pantry :rolleyes:

Some of these Mexicos have a SIT gas valve and a dodgy thermocouple.

I think it is the RF 85 MK 2 or thereabouts and poss RF 65s all of the rest in the entire range have Honeywell grey button valves and Honeywell TCs.

Mine's a mexico super 2 rs60, it's a Honeywell valve - is this a better thing than the "SIT" valve.

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with SIT valves in general.

Mine's a mexico super 2 rs60, it's a Honeywell valve - is this a better thing than the "SIT" valve.

More readily available than a SIT and cheaper :)

Best boilers ever made though ,well the E Type actually, but the Mexico is just an upgrade of that boiler range.

Totally bullet proof. I'm changing 35 year old E Types but in truth they have years in them yet. Only reason punters are changing them is to save fuel/money but the waste is more down to gravity primaries/primitive controls rather than the boiler although it probably is rather expensive to run,relatively speaking.

..the more I read on here the more I wonder about forgetting the service plan and just paying for servicing/repairs as needed by a local guy.

The people who post here are perhaps more conscientious than your local Corgi fitter.

However, beware of internet advice. It's not these posters who are actually doing the work, The ones that are may be too busy or have better things to do rather than post on plumbing forums ;)

..well they (EON) have the part now - offered me fitting on Tuesday, that's 9 days after being capped off at meter with no supply to other appliances in house. Advised I'm unhappy, threw in the 2 week old baby (which is true, but why it matters I'm not sure) - and we'll see what happens next, someone else is calling me.

The reason they said Tuesday was "we've had a lot of breakdowns", I reflected that their lack of capacity is perhaps more their problem than mine. I'm not sure my reflection helped....

...they are coming straight away. The baby makes us "vulnerable" and so we are upgraded to an urgent call out. Hope some other poor bugger hasn't been cancelled - although again the problem lies with the provider, not customer. Still not sure to continue with cover or not - 4 days to get part and then trying to postpone repair for further 4 days....

That will explain why the guys who left BG love working for EON . As they say its brill no pressure to get boilers working next day just like the board was 20 years ago.

That will explain why the guys who left BG love working for EON . As they say its brill no pressure to get boilers working next day just like the board was 20 years ago.

whats to love about getting moaned at for taking 9 days to do a repair?

Ok, stupid, question but got to ask anyway ...

Why couldn't Transco have concluded that it was an appliance fault rather than capping off at the meter?

Well it's fixed - took an hour and a half and I'm glad to have the heating back on. Guy that came was a nice guy - I've made a point at not moaning to the Engineers, only the poor people on the phones.

My final (again probably silly) question is that the model number on the gas control valve isn't exactly the same as the original (original v4600E new one v4600A) - anyone know the difference (if there is one). Looking online I'm struck by how alike all the Honeywell valves look - is it essential that the exact same model is fitted, or is there overlap?? Mine's working perfectly which is all that matters to me. Thanks for everyone's comments, by the way.

Nickso what would you rather have the odd customer moaning (with right) or the daily whinning of ucad, feild managers ,tsm`s, fellow engineers and prob more customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back