Boiler gas valve replaced with a different model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is a Thorn Olympic 38/50B. The gas valve failed and I had it replaced. I noticed that the valve he took out was a Honeywell V4600A-1023, and he replaced it with a V4600C-1029.

Does anybody know what the difference is between these two models?

Also, he relieved me of £98 + VAT for the valve and £60 + VAT for fitting it, total was £185 - ouch! I even had to help him undo some of the joints because he wasn't strong enough! Was this a reasonable price for the valve and the job?

Sponsored Links
The 4600a is £63 plus vat to the trade so no he hasn't over charged.

The 4600c is exactly the same in all respects except that it is a slow start main burn.

My view is that if the burner lights without any delay there is no reason not to use the c, but others' view is that you should always use the correct part.

If it were my personal boiler and the above proviso that main burner lit safely every time I would use a c if that is what I could obtain more readily at the time.

I expect a corgi inspector would think differently.

I don't think you've been had at all, he may have done you a favour, the a is the more used valve so may have been out of stock locally, most people have a c in stock so you have probably had your boiler back in service a few days sooner than if you'd waited for the a.

Before using a different valve makers written permission should be obtained which in my experience is not given as tests need carrying out on different valve

Parts list for the thorn apollo 30/50B 4178954 lists the replacement valve as a 1/2" BSP compact softlite V4600C1029.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responding.

Paul, What is a slow start main burn in layman's terms? I guess then that the v4600a was a fast start main burn? What's the difference?

You say that you would fit the c on the proviso that main burner lights every time, but how will I know this? Should I just watch it for the first couple of times it fires up, or do I have to keep an eye on it indefinitely?

It's irelevant now because Ollski has just told you that the c is the correct part in any case.

It just relates to the speed of delivery of the first flow of gas to the main burner. A burner designed for rapid delivery may not ignite safely on a gas valve which gives a metered initial delivery.

Once the initial period is over there would be no difference at all between the two valves.

Thanks Paul.

But ollski is referring to the Thorn Apollo 30/50B, whereas I have a Thorn Olympic 38/50B !

Oh sorry. I don't have access to any pasrt lists. I think Ollski may be a British GAs engineer with a cd that has many boiler parts breakdowns.

It may well be the correct part but if it is not, as has been pointed out by others it isn't strictly correct but as I have said at home if the main burner lit as soon as there is a call for heat consistently it wouldn't bother me one iota which model I had.

As I said a corgi inspector would not agree.

There are people with common sense and there are jobsworths.

andrewjo said:
Thanks Paul.

But ollski is referring to the Thorn Apollo 30/50B, whereas I have a Thorn Olympic 38/50B !

Yes sorry, but exactly the same part.

People like this andrewjo seriously wind me up.
A guy has come out charged 60 quid to the job and he's saying ouch I tell you what you start your own business but a van, tools spend years training and fix your own boiler maybe if you don't want to charge enough to live you could call your new business Samaritans heating ( or something along those lines ). Ahhhh rant over

Samuel, This topic is 10 years old. Even the price cost will be higher than last 10 years.

You need to check date before posting.

Daniel. :)

Fair one, still winds me up none the less as there are so many people like it!

So two posts on this forum. One moaning about a 10 year old post. And the 2nd telling us your very easily wound up. Glad we sorted that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back