boiler in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all, i need help!!!

i have a large brick garage at the end of my garden, and so does my neighbour. the gap between our garages is about 400mm. i have a boiler - ariston microgenus (rubbish i know!!) in my garage, and i want to pass the flue out of my wall, then an elbow up and then a vertical flue upwards. trouble is it the vertical part would be right on the boundary, my neighbour doesn't mind, is this an ok install, or not, as various corgi guys say different things..

my corgi guy says take it straight out vertically through my flat roof, but i don't want to cut a hole in the flat roof..we are debating best thing to do...help!!!

Sponsored Links
Why not take the flue out of the end of the garage, instead of into the gap between the 2 garages? You can buy extension straight pieces to make the flue as long as you need it to be.

through the roof would be the most proffessional job normally, but a little more work involved. Otherwise you could try taking it out a different way, or you may get away with a plume kit pointing back at your own land.

Why not take the flue out of the end of the garage, instead of into the gap between the 2 garages? You can buy extension straight pieces to make the flue as long as you need it to be.
Because it is illegal?
And you certainly can't make a flue as long as you want.
Maybe it's best not to advice on things you are not competent to work on.

Sponsored Links
the gap between our garages is about 400mm. i have a boiler - ariston microgenus

Is it the old noncondensing model?
(rubbish i know!!) in my garage, and i want to pass the flue out of my wall, then an elbow up and then a vertical flue upwards.

Most M.I. would not list that as an option.
trouble is it the vertical part would be right on the boundary, my neighbour doesn't mind, is this an ok install, or not,

No
as various corgi guys say different things..

my corgi guy

Hopefully you mean GSR guy, corgi has become a plumbers merchant and have nothing to do with gas anymore.
says take it straight out vertically through my flat roof, but i don't want to cut a hole in the flat roof..we are debating best thing to do...help!!!
Apart from moving the boiler, that is probably the only option.

Take it through the flat roof vertically. It's the cheapest and quickest option. There's less doubt about the legality of the install as well.

Your neighbour might be non-fussed at the moment but do you want the threat of having to changing the boiler install hanging over your head if moods change?

i dont want to take the flue horizontally either way as the run is too long, and ariston are saying the flue should be angled upwards slightly.

my gas guy says through the roof, but if i did take it through the existing hole, and then the elbow and then up, do i need a vertical flue kit, or a flue plume kit??

is the vertical kit only for roofes, either flat or pitched tile, or can it be used free standing, or should i use the plume kit??

i take it vertical kits are for going through roofs, plume kit can be used vertically but not through a roof. is this correct.??

i just want to know the best way forward, suggest it to my gas professional, and take it from there...

also, on the boundary issue, is it legal or illegal for the flue to be on the boundary, away from all habitable windows, doors etc???

Legal side is rather complicated as it is part technical, as in fumes, part nuisance as in plumes and damp.
Every boiler is different, but I doubt you can create a sufficiently rigid construction if you use the existing hole.

the neighbours garage is not a games room/gym as mine is, so any fumes would not disturb him. also, i have just enough space for a bracket to hold the plume kit on the side of my garage...i think it can be secured ok, just want to know if it is possible to do??

is this not ok??

if anyone can answer this:

i take it vertical kits are for going through roofs, plume kit can be used vertically but not through a roof. is this correct.??

i would appreciate it...

It all depends on specific factors that you can't answer from behind a keyboard; let your installer sort it out.

A plume kit is not designed nor approved for going through a roof. that is what a vertical flue kit is designed for.

Because it is illegal?
And you certainly can't make a flue as long as you want.
Maybe it's best not to advice on things you are not competent to work on.
Why is it illegal bengasman?
I've seen some flues run over approx 10 to 12 feet in some flats i've worked in in Liverpool. Totally boxed in too so you can't get at it, if it was spilling back into the kitchen, now that to me would seem to be illegal, but this is a garage, no-one is sleeping in the garage, presumably, apart from maybe the car. If you look at the manual, it will tell you how long the flue can be, and they sell extension kits for just this purpose, although it may be easier in the long run to just move the boiler over to the back wall of the garage and re-do the piping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back