Boiler not firing for CH, previously had low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into a new house (about 6 wks ago) that has a Worcester Junior 24i. We tested the heating worked when we moved in and all was fine.

We have since decorated a room and had the radiator off. When trying to use the CH yesterday it didn't ignite. The pressure was down to 0 so I repressurise it. The needle was pretty slow to move so I ended up with a reading of 2 by the time it had caught up. I bleed some radiators to get it down to 1.5. Still nothing from the CH (water is fine.)

Is there anything else I could try before resorting to calling someone out?
We have tried the reset button with no luck.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If it a new house then I am surprised that the builders did not decorate it before selling.

No boiler is going to work unless the pressure is correctly set. You would not expect your car to drive with flat tyres would you!

A new boiler in a new house will be covered under the warrantee. It sounds like the pressure switch is blocked but that's only expected on an older boiler.

Tony

Is there any warning light still lit on the front panel?

Sorry if these are obvious but...If there's a room thermostat make sure that's turned well up and the heating water temp on the front panel too. Also make sure the timer is definitely set to ON.

Sorry the word 'new' was probably misleading. New for us, it's not a new build and I doubt it's a new boiler.

Pressure is now at 1.5.

Sponsored Links
Is there any warning light still lit on the front panel?

Sorry if these are obvious but...If there's a room thermostat make sure that's turned well up and the heating water temp on the front panel too. Also make sure the timer is definitely set to ON.

The timer was off! Thank you for stating the obvious for me! Fires up just fine now. :D

The pressure guage did almost reach 3 while it was on, is that ok?
I'll bleed the radiators a little more if it's not.

When the system is cold, release some pressure by bleeding rads until 1bar on gauge. Expect the pressure to rise in CH mode. As long as it remains 2/2.5bar all should be fine. Get it serviced when you can and ask the man to check the expansion vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back