Boiler not firing, no H/W or C/H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just returned from holiday and the boiler /CH is not working. My brother looked after the house an assures me that everyday the HW and CH came on when the timer kicked in and the just stopped working yesterday. I have the water and CH set to constant at the moment and the boiler is not even firing and no pumps etc are working. I have a standard boiler with hot water tank.

The room stat was changed a few weeks ago to a Honeywell DT90 and has been working for 2 weeks fine.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The pilot light is on.
The boiler is a Thorn BMI Apollo.
The room stat is a Honeywell DT90e.
The pump is a red Groundforce selectric.
The water-CH switch is a switchmaster SM805.

The boiler is old and has no digital graphics. The room stat is illuminated and reading correctly.

Sponsored Links
It's a Honeywell sundial Y diverter.

There is 230v to the boiler mains.

There is 0v to the room thermostat when the water / heating is off and 230v between live and switch live when the water and heating is turned on.

How do I check the switch live at boiler?

Everthing was working fine and correctly previously so I think the wiring is correct.

Thanks for your help so far.

The pump is not running.

Normally when I turn the water and heating on together the pump starts up and the boiler fires up (you can hear their distinct noises)

Neither the pump is starting and boiler firing.

There appears to be no power at the pump. I tested across live and neutral and it showed 0v

Test the boiler/pump live. If you have a mid position valve as you say this is the orange wire.

Turn your heating on you should have 240v on the white wire to the valve and also 240v on the orange wire.

If you are not getting 240v on orange suspect an issue with the midposition valve

Also when you test live-neutral you should also test live-earth and neutral-earth this will help eliminate problems with faulty neutrals

It's a Honeywell sundial Y diverter.

There is 230v to the boiler mains.

There is 0v to the room thermostat when the water / heating is off and 230v between live and switch live when the water and heating is turned on.

How do I check the switch live at boiler?

Everthing was working fine and correctly previously so I think the wiring is correct.

Thanks for your help so far.

if you are getting 230v between live and switched live at the stat then that suggests the stat is off

you can check for a switched live at the boiler between the terminal marked "on" and neutral also check between "on" and earth too as already advised

Matt

//media.diynot.com/143000_142552_43890_86270850_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/143000_142552_43891_44135989_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/143000_142552_43892_33873073_thumb.jpg

Ok. FCU to boiler on. Water and CH set to constant.

At Boiler:
230v between ON and Live.
0v between ON and Neutral.
0v between ON and Earth.

230v between Live And Switch Live at Room Stat.

With Regards to the orange and White wires. I checked between live and orange and Live and White in the big Junction box and got 230v. Is that the correct way?

There isn't a orange or white cable in the boiler.

Will anymore photos help out?[/img]

Where does the switched live from the room stat go - if you follow/trace it back to the boiler terminal you can check it is actually signaling the boiler to fire - the fact that the stat's lit up like a xmas tree and there's power to the boiler doesn't mean that what its signaling (the stat) is getting back to the boiler. oh and you won"t find the orange and white wire from the diverter/"big box" in the boiler casing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back