Boiler plumbing, this okay?

Thanks guys. Like I say I'm going to ask him to rectify the flexible pipes thing (1 metre from unit) as I think that's a warranty must. I'll also see what he says about the water feed from the washing machine pipe.

Sponsored Links
It's only a problem if plastic on the flow and return. You have plastic on the hot and cold which is ok but looks awful.

Great!! Only the Flow & Return in copper. I've got a run of 28mm gas line & was going to stick it in in Hep2O. Thanks for the heads up Shambo, you've saved me a few bob there mate.

Sponsored Links
I'm feeling a bit better about this following feedback on here and reviewing the installation again today. First of all, the flow and return are copper for first metre and beyond, assuming I'm correct in thinking the copper pipes running vertically up the side of the boiler are the flow and return!:

If I'm right in thinking the following is the main gas feed to the boiler, here's how this runs from the main feed into the property to the boiler. You can also see the plastic/flexible pipework connecting the (hot and cold?) feeds to the boiler:

And here's how he's connected the hot and cold feeds from existing pipework:

I appreciate based on earlier replies the installation maybe isn't gold standard throughout, however as long as I know there's nothing inherently wrong with the installation and that the Ideal warranty will be intact then I'm happy enough. From what I can see the things a layman like me can check e.g. clearances etc are fine.

QUESTIONS
1. Based on the pics (which I appreciate don't tell the full story) does the install look okay to you? I've had the system running 2-3 times, water and heating and all appears to be okay.

2. I'm assuming when I connect a washing machine to the cold outlet that's he's taken a feed from, that nothing untoward will happen e.g. if washing machine and boiler attempt to draw water at the same time?

Cheers :)

Will there be any probs with the washing machine drawing water same time as the boiler? It's disappointing he didn't take these feeds from the cupboard that used to house the water cylinders 'but' if his setup will essentially work I'll just leave it.

Job was more than £2k less than £2.5k remove back boiler, hot water cylinders, supply/install combi, trvs and lockshields.

Even by Scottish standards you were robbed. :D

The washing machine will be fine. The poor fecker in the shower might have different opinions though ;)

Even by Scottish standards you were robbed. :D

The washing machine will be fine. The poor fecker in the shower might have different opinions though ;)

Electric shower so hopefully won't be an issue! Yeah I know where you're coming from re: prices etc, however unless you know someone in a trade and know they do consistently good work, there's always going to be an 'element' of luck about it. I did everything right in that I sought 3 quotes, ensured all Gas Safe etc. However lessen learnt in that, in future, I'll know to ask heating engineers/plumbers how they're going to run pipes, where they'll take feeds from etc. Again though I think this has to be balanced cause some tradespeople might think 'we've got a right one here!' so there's a probably a balance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back