Boiler Quote

Sorry if I have missed somthing....but...

Your boiler is 13 years old, which is not that old and it sounds like it is working fine.

Why spend a lot of money, just to save a smallish amount of money per year. It will probably take you 5-10 years just to make the money back in savings. Probaly nearer 10 years if your current boiler has an efficiency rating in the high 70s.

Maybe spend the money on better heating controls, thermostatic valves, insulation. All these other things may have a much bigger impact and shorter payback time.

I would only consider replacing a perfectly functioning boiler if it is beginning to require lot of uneconomical repair, it has actually failed or you are doing a major rennovation and would need to replumb it anyway.
Was going to say the same thing!

Going from nearly 80% efficiency to 90% is going to say you naff all! All parts are still available for the 24i too.

Sponsored Links
Quite so!

But there are many with plenty of money to spend who sell a perfectly good two year old car just to buy a new one.

I usually find that I can quote about £1000 less that British Gas and often to fit a better boiler too.

Tony

Sorry if I have missed somthing....but...

Your boiler is 13 years old, which is not that old and it sounds like it is working fine.

Why spend a lot of money, just to save a smallish amount of money per year. It will probably take you 5-10 years just to make the money back in savings. Probaly nearer 10 years if your current boiler has an efficiency rating in the high 70s.

Maybe spend the money on better heating controls, thermostatic valves, insulation. All these other things may have a much bigger impact and shorter payback time.

I would only consider replacing a perfectly functioning boiler if it is beginning to require lot of uneconomical repair, it has actually failed or you are doing a major rennovation and would need to replumb it anyway.

Can't disagree with that...... ;)

£3,173.00........... :eek:

Ah it's a wonderful life eh!! There's guys around these parts doing combi swops for 130 sheets!!! OMG, these course Cowboys have really f.cked up what was a wonderful trade. Then there's the Cowboys in poloshirts at BG, nuff said..... :(

Sponsored Links
And before you say anything, I have customers that have had a cheap install done from ebay and regret it deeply, and why are they my customers? Because the ebay installer has no vested interest in ever returning to a property, therefore no interest in a proper job, just bash it in and fook off.

In additon to my earlier post.

Based on average consumption figures for the year. Going from a D rated boiler to an A rated boiler will save in the region of £90 a year!

If we take the average new boiler installation to cost around £2500 it will take you 27 years to pay off the boiler before you start to make a saving on the gas used. So it is very unlikley that you would make any savings from the new boiler, before you had to replace it again.

Food for thoght.

In additon to my earlier post.

Based on average consumption figures for the year. Going from a D rated boiler to an A rated boiler will save in the region of £90 a year!

If we take the average new boiler installation to cost around £2500 it will take you 27 years to pay off the boiler before you start to make a saving on the gas used. So it is very unlikley that you would make any savings from the new boiler, before you had to replace it again.

Food for thoght.

Your figures are useless. You make no account for inflation in energy prices, nor the increased maintenance costs of an older boiler when compared to a new boiler with a 5 year warranty.

Also, anyone who gets a boiler fitted through eBay has to be severely mentally deficient.

I did not claim it to be an accurate analysis. Just a guide.

I was in fact going to put a disclaimer to that, but thought it pretty obvious.

However, even taking into account gas price rises and inflation, I personally highly doubt one would recoup the cost within the life time of a new boiler.

Regardless, as I said, it was a guide. People often read the rating bands and do not know what the differance between say a band A and band D is in monitary terms (based on current prices).

People can often assume that the gap between A and D must be huge in terms of savings. This is often not the case, or at least not as big as one may assume.

This at least gives it some perspective to base a decision on.

Why are people obsessed with the fact that boilers "should pay for themselves" it's an absolutley ridiculous idea, does everyone expect their car to pay for it self or the weekly shopping :?: :LOL:
Yes they are cheaper to run especially with the right controls, and setup and commissioned properly ,but you should only have a new boiler fitted if it is right for you and your property and not for financial reasons IMHO.

In real terms boilers are not that expensive, you can get a 24kw combi for around £500, OK it's not the best quality in the world, but installed correctly it'll do the job. I was paying £300 for an Apollo back in the day.

If your boiler is totally shot, then of course replace it. But there's cheaper ways of cutting your gas bill than fitting a new boiler. You can buy a load of insulation for £2.5K!!!

Why are people obsessed with the fact that boilers "should pay for themselves" it's an absolutley ridiculous idea, does everyone expect their car to pay for it self or the weekly shopping :?:

No one is obsessed, and no one said a boiler should "pay for itself". It was just an illustration as to the small amount of savings in efficiency going from band D to band A would give you.

The op is hoping to save on their gas usage. That is fine. If they have the money or just want to be a bit greener, thats fine. However, unfortunatly people can be misled, especially by the big gas companys about the worth of replacing an older boiler.

The fact that British Gas are the first to give them a quote is a red flag. They tried the same tactic with me every year untill I got rid of them.

"do you know your boiler is Thirteen years old", "Do you know it is band D" "We might not make parts for it soon". "You could save a lot by upragding"

So, the point I originally made was, if the boiler is working well (suits how you live), it has not got reliability problems and you arn't planning a major refub, you might as well keep it going. If any of those things change, then at that point you may want to consider it.

If you just want to change it because you have the money and/or you want to be that bit greener, thats fine, it is up to the individual.

If the OP just wants to save money, than there might, just might, be better and cheaper ways of doing this rather than replacing a whole boiler.

All it is, is a bit more information or way of looking at things to base a decision on.

Why are people obsessed with the fact that boilers "should pay for themselves" it's an absolutley ridiculous idea, does everyone expect their car to pay for it self or the weekly shopping :?:

No one is obsessed, and no one said a boiler should "pay for itself". It was just an illustration as to the small amount of savings in efficiency going from band D to band A would give you.

The op is hoping to save on their gas usage. That is fine. If they have the money or just want to be a bit greener, thats fine. However, unfortunatly people can be misled, especially by the big gas companys about the worth of replacing an older boiler.

The fact that British Gas are the first to give them a quote is a red flag. They tried the same tactic with me every year untill I got rid of them.

"do you know your boiler is Thirteen years old", "Do you know it is band D" "We might not make parts for it soon". "You could save a lot by upragding"

So, the point I originally made was, if the boiler is working well (suits how you live), it has not got reliability problems and you arn't planning a major refub, you might as well keep it going. If any of those things change, then at that point you may want to consider it.

If you just want to change it because you have the money and/or you want to be that bit greener, thats fine, it is up to the individual.

If the OP just wants to save money, than there might, just might, be better and cheaper ways of doing this rather than replacing a whole boiler.

All it is, is a bit more information or way of looking at things to base a decision on.

F.ck Green, the Jury is still out on Global Warming, with many, many eminent scientists now saying its grossly over hyped!!!

It's all about ensuring your boiler is off as long as possible & saving gas. Insulate & cost effective controls upgrades are a biggest priority, IF your boiler is in good nick?

I have a wooshiter 240RSF, according to paperwork it was installed in 97 and over the 11 years i've used it its only had 2 real probs, diverter valve replaced in 08 and the latest issue caused by me not tightening filler loop properly which let in water causing PRV to pop. Its down to 0.5 mbar and still leaking and working, just need to get a few more months out of it before its replaced next year, it was also last serviced in 2010, 2009, 2008,2007 and they all said its working as if its left the factory. Not bad but the latest plumber says they are difficult to work on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back