boiler/radiator problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my upstairs rads where not warming up i have flushed out rads but there now appears no preasure to push out air. i have a thorn m boiler should there be a valve to increase water presure or does it just work from water pump

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Probably a bit more info needed.

How did you flush out your rads?
What type and age are your valves on your rads?
What sort of system have you? ( have you tanks and cylinder anywhere?)

Andy.

it sounds like the cold feed to the system is blocked or possibly the ball valve to your f&e tank is stuck

removed rads took the outside and flushed the through with a hose pipe the boiler is old not like a combi water pump apears to be working as down stairs rads are hot

Sponsored Links
Keep it simple at first.

Have you turned the rad valves back on?

Is any air comming out when you bleed the rads?

Did you just turn the rad valves off when you took the rads off, or did you isolate the tanks?

Andy.

removed rads took the outside and flushed the through with a hose pipe the boiler is old not like a combi water pump apears to be working as down stairs rads are hot
valves are twist to open/close could be 30 years old there are hot and cold water tanks upstairs

Keep it simple at first.

Have you turned the rad valves back on?

Is any air comming out when you bleed the rads?

Did you just turn the rad valves off when you took the rads off, or did you isolate the tanks?

Andy.
yes valves back on, very little aie coming out when try to bleed turned of valves when removed rads

So, the water in your tank upstairs should now be pushing the air out of your rad bleed valves.
It isnt so you have a blockage somewhere.

If you only turned the rad valves off to flush then I would be first suspecting your old valves.
If you emptied the tank upstairs then there could be a blockage there or the ball valve is stuck so not filling the tank.
Or maybe a blockage in your pipework.
It does sound an old system.

Andy.

if i loosen valve from pipe work water should rush out if not blockage in system system is 10mm flexi pipe whats best way to flush out whole system.
norman [/quote]

if i loosen valve from pipe work water should rush out if not blockage in system system is 10mm flexi pipe whats best way to flush out whole system.
norman

Not sure about that as its not very controlled.

What was the state of the water when you flushed the rads?

I think you mean 10mm microbore copper pipe.
If so, it is more prone to blockages.
A powerflush should clean your system but I think I would also be changing those 30 year old valves first.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back