Boiler service

Well at least you know he went through it in fine detail and sorted your leaks. Hope you gave him more than £78 though! That's more than a boiler service. You saved £780 over the 10 years it wasn't serviced!

Sponsored Links
Also the home building and contents insurance I got recently included boiler cover (complete replacement if required) and was the most competitive price even without that. The T&Cs didn't say anything about the boiler having to have been serviced every year. So I'm now questioning whether to pay for one at all considering it involves doing almost nothing from what I can see, and if it breaks I get it fixed for free or a new one on home insurance :D

Can you get are placement wife and kids as well under that policy?:whistle:

Vaillant turbomax, 10 yr old, its first service. There was some minor leaks on the boiler connections to see to as well.

A neighbour's Turbo was installed in 2004. Still awaiting it's first service.

You can't tell some people. :(

Can't understand people who have quality boilers fitted then completely ignore them. Went to an Ecotec recently that was 8 years old and hadn't had the cover off since installation. Diverter had been weeping for months, as was the AAV. Burner seal was just starting to let go, and the Magnaclean was choked. Absolutely crazy.

Last edited:
I've had this conversation time and time again. Take out the house and the car, what is the next biggest expense that you spend when buying a house?

Yep, that little white box in the kitchen or airing cupboard. You will happily spend 20k on a car, 2k on the must have TV but when you spend 3.5k on a heating system it's forgotten about until you have a problem and then bemoan gas guys when it hasn't been touched for 5 years and it's going to cost you!

People don't realise how much you rely on and need your boiler until it's broken. It's about time that people realised that it takes routine servicing and they could look after the 3rd biggest investment in their property!!

I have zero sympathy for anyone that skimps. I protect my investments and it's about time others learnt that too.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Also the home building and contents insurance I got recently included boiler cover (complete replacement if required) and was the most competitive price even without that. The T&Cs didn't say anything about the boiler having to have been serviced every year. So I'm now questioning whether to pay for one at all considering it involves doing almost nothing from what I can see, and if it breaks I get it fixed for free or a new one on home insurance :D

Can you get are placement wife and kids as well under that policy?:whistle:

WHAT A D1CK!!!

I seriously think that CO poisoning is the gas gods way of trying to stop the watering down of the gene pool.

Crack on @DavidSWP oh and I'd check those T&C's properly if I were you. You will be very much mistaken.

Jon

Well at least you know he went through it in fine detail and sorted your leaks. Hope you gave him more than £78 though! That's more than a boiler service. You saved £780 over the 10 years it wasn't serviced!
Just to put this out there, I have only just moved into this property! It's the previous owners who never had it serviced in the last 10 years!! Strangely I did pay more, though this service was carried out at a daywork rate and not fixed price. I warned the chap on the phone I had suspicions it had never been serviced before. I've also added the date to remind me of the next service to the front of the boiler for next year.

Most of your big companies will do an annual contract for £20 ish. they'll stick an analyser in, tell you its ok and off they pop. those lads usually have 15 to do in a day.
these 'poke and go's' wont tell you if there are any internal leaks that could cause a problem, especially condense leaks, slightly acidic,will rot through boiler casings and gas valves fairly quickly.

I've just signed up for a £19 per month contract with Baxi (I have the dreaded Potterton Powermax HE 150 boiler). They can't service it for six weeks (apparently your plan doesn't become 'active' until a month after you sign up, at which point you can call and book your annual service. I assume that's to prevent people signing up after their boiler has already broken down and expecting an immediate full repair!).

An out-of-warranty service was £147 and did not include any parts that might need replacing. The £19 per month seemed like a better option as it covered breakdowns and includes parts.

I shall be most annoyed if the service consists of just sticking in an analyser and telling me it's OK, especially given the boiler's bad safety reputation. I have a copy of the service manual and shall insist that the stated service procedure is followed. (I'll let you know how I get on with THAT!)

Last edited:
Please do with that boiler model. But I have great expectations that you will not be disappointed with Baxi.

But other "normal" boilers do only need an FGA and internal inspection if the combustion chamber has been opened up during the last 3-5 years.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I appreciate the reassurance regarding the Baxi service. I'll be really relieved once it finally gets looked at!

Cheers.

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back