Boiler startup noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A couple of years ago, I had my water system changed to a direct feed system, so that I no longer have any tanks in the loft and the heating system is now a closed system.

It works quite well, the pressure's good, but there's one really annoying problem. Every time the boiler fires up (e.g. for water and heating at 6 in the morning), it makes a really loud noise that penetrates through the whole of the house. It also tends to do it if someone's in the shower and the boiler needs to come on to reheat the water in the tank.

I filmed it and loaded it onto Youtube for the world to enjoy:

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it? Sometime's it's so loud I worry something's going to rupture and flood the house.

Also, over time, the system loses pressure. I usually keep it at one bar, but I think the problem with the noise may be linked to it. For example, the boiler just started up and it made the noise and the pressure guage dropped from 1 bar to 0.9 bar. I'm not aware of any leaks in the system, so where on earth could the water be going? Usually, after about a week, I'll have to open the taps up and bring it back up to one bar.

I'd really love to solve this problem, as I could then sleep past 6am and I could stop worrying about there being a leak somewhere in the system.

Regards

Jever

Sponsored Links
as @Dan Robinson says it sounds like you have a zone valve fitted the wrong way round, the brass body will have a direction arrow on it check that out, your pressure problems are not related, your pressure guage dropping by 0.1 of a bar on startup is normal it is just the pump kicking in

Hi,

That seems a rather basic error, considering how much I paid the plumber to do it.

Would I be right in thinking that the arrow on the brass casing in the attached photo should be pointing upwards, so that the water flows into the coil?

Thanks for your help, both of you, by the way.

Jever

Attachments

• P1040662.JPG
    P1040662.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 441
Sponsored Links
I’ve came across zone valves being plumbed in backwards before but always just left them. I had no idea it could cause that kind of noise.

Hi,

That seems a rather basic error, considering how much I paid the plumber to do it.

Would I be right in thinking that the arrow on the brass casing in the attached photo should be pointing upwards, so that the water flows into the coil?

Thanks for your help, both of you, by the way.

Jever

They point in the direction of flow. This can be either way depending on the installation.

The motorised valve. Is a polypipe honeywell clone they later became branded ESI. They have a faulty switch relay which causes the chattering. Good thing is the head is easily changed the new ones dont have the plug in lead so you would have to put a joint box in wago grey box etc.
I probably changed 50 of them. Got so bad people were binning them and fitting real Honeywells instead.

Plus yours is backwards. By the looks of it.

Port a----port b or follow the arrow

I would also be asking where the automatic bypass valve is ???
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231774588623

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The motorised valve. Is a polypipe honeywell clone they later became branded ESI. They have a faulty switch relay which causes the chattering. Good thing is the head is easily changed the new ones dont have the plug in lead so you would have to put a joint box in wago grey box etc.
I probably changed 50 of them. Got so bad people were binning them and fitting real Honeywells instead.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231774588623
Let’s not forget while a bypass valve is good practice to fit, it only needs one if there is a pump over run. Some boilers

While it’s good practice to fit bypass valves, let’s not forget if there is no pump overrun then it doesn’t necessarily need one. Some boilers like for example the new ideals don’t require a permanent live, so no pump overrun, no bypass required. Obviously most boilers require one and I’d always fit one ti the system as it good practice like I stated above, but let’s not worry the guy to much.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Mr Benchmark,

That's really helpful information, thanks.

I took a picture of the side of the motor box just to check and you're right, it's an ESI product (see file attached).

If I'm honest, I'm not certain if the valve's the right way round or not, but looking at the plumbing, there's another pipe at the same height going into the tank, also marked 'COIL 1'. Just before that comes the Honeywell three-way valve that splits the flow between water and central heating feed and then just before the three way valve is the pump.

This suggests to me that the valve making the noise is at the outlet and hence the valve is fitted the right way round. That said, I'm no expert.

I think if I could have satisfied myself that the only problem was that it was installed the wrong way round, I'd have had a go at turning it round myself. However, it appears the core of the problem is a faulty product and I think I'm out of my depth now, so I think it's time I got a qualified plumber took look at it. Is putting it right a big deal or can it be done without opening the pipes/some sort of drain down?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Jever

Attachments

• ESI Valve.JPG
    ESI Valve.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 274
Work on a uv needs to be done by someone with the appropriate qualifications: g3 registered.

Let’s not forget while a bypass valve is good practice to fit, it only needs one if there is a pump over run. Some boilers

While it’s good practice to fit bypass valves, let’s not forget if there is no pump overrun then it doesn’t necessarily need one. Some boilers like for example the new ideals don’t require a permanent live, so no pump overrun, no bypass required. Obviously most boilers require one and I’d always fit one ti the system as it good practice like I stated above, but let’s not worry the guy to much.

I think you forget....an auto bypass is often required to comply with the minimum flowrate through the boiler under all system flow conditions, to reduce the differential pressure across TRVs as well as providing a flow path under pump overrun conditions. Of course the next problem is the often incorrect setting of the valve.

I think you forget....an auto bypass is often required to comply with the minimum flowrate through the boiler under all system flow conditions, to reduce the differential pressure across TRVs as well as providing a flow path under pump overrun conditions. Of course the next problem is the often incorrect setting of the valve.
is that why it’s good practice to have one bypass radiator fitted with lock shields on a combi fed system. I’d imagine so.
Yeah setting up a bypass valve seems to one thing that’s never done correctly. The amount of times I’ve gone to call outs where rads have not been getting hot because of short circulation caused by bypass valves being opened to much.

Just as an add-on to my earlier comments, I've referred back to the invoice for the job and it specifically lists a 22mm auto by pass valve as part of the job. Is it possible that the plumber's fitted it, but it's not evident from the video?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back