Oil boiler noise on start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an oil boiler that's about 30 years old and also had a new direct feed water tank fitted in the summer to improve water pressure.

Everything is working well, except that now I have switched the heating on for the winter, there's a loud noise shortly after the boiler fires up every morning.

I can't yet figure out if it's coming from the boiler or the tank (it usually wakes me up every morning), but I'm becoming concerned that it's the start of a bigger problem. Is anyone here familiar with this?

I'd appreciate any help on offer.

Regards

Jever

Sponsored Links
It's hard to describe, but it's a 'banging' type sound. The first time I heard it, I thought something had fallen over onto a bare wooden floor.

I'm not sure that's helpful, but I certainly get the feeling there's some sort of impact happening somewhere.

Dont you think that telling us the boiler make and model might help us to help you?

Same with the "tank" ? Is it a Sherman?

Might me motor valves wrongly fitted.

Did you ask the tank installer first?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I got up early yesterday morning and observed more closely. The noise isn't coming from the boiler, but from the tank. It's a short-lived 'juddery' type of sound, loud enough to wake us up.

If, as you say, it's an air lock, what's the likely solution? Keep bleeding the radiators? Is it necessary/possible to vent any air in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jever

A good installation would have provision for venting the coil. Is your system sealed or open vented? If you are getting air when you bleed the radiators, then it is obviously coming from somewhere. When the 'tank' was fitted, did the installer refill and add an inhibitor?

Hi, it's a sealed system. I've just been round and bled the radiators (haven't done this for a while).

Two of the radiators had a fair bit of air in them, so hopefully they're now full with water and I've topped the pressure back up to 1 bar.

If there is a provision for venting the coil, will the system do this itself, or do I need to identify and do something?

Regarding your last question, I expect he did, but I can't be sure. He's away on holiday at the moment (and is usually very difficult to reach in any event) - which is what led me to ask questions here.

Interestingly, the tank was fitted in the summer, but the strange noise has only occurred since I switched the heating on a few weeks ago. Hence it must be related to the heating rather than the hot water. The water and the heating come on at 6 in the moring. I might try to start them at different times to see what results that gets.

Is it possible to problem will disappear if I've got all of the air out of the system?

TIA

Jever

Do you have any auto air vents on the hot water circuit? If so, when the pump starts for heating, it may be pulling air in through the vent if the pressure is low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back