boiler turned off by an engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone, i have a Worcester boiler which has been checked today for a landlords gas safety checked. The engineer has turned my boiler off because of 3 small holes where the badge should be! And a hole in the flue where a screw holds it together, he spoke to the letting agents and is coming to fix it tomorrow but could he of left the boiler running it if he is coming tomorrow to fix it thanks in advance charlotte

Sponsored Links
No they have a duty of care and have to take that action. If he left it on and you died or something blew up in that time he would have been liable as the last person to work on it.

As above, if a safety issue is identified then the correct action is to disable the appliance. Taking the view that "one more night won't hurt" could end up in a manslaughter charge for the engineer. Better safe than dead.

Hear what you guys are saying (and agree) however if it had been you would you not have rung the letting agency, then fitted a screw in the flue and done a temp fix on the 3 holes to leave the tenant with heating & hot water overnight? Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
hello everyone, i have a Worcester boiler which has been checked today for a landlords gas safety checked. The engineer has turned my boiler off because of 3 small holes where the badge should be! And a hole in the flue where a screw holds it together, he spoke to the letting agents and is coming to fix it tomorrow but could he of left the boiler running it if he is coming tomorrow to fix it thanks in advance charlotte
Hear what you guys are saying (and agree) however if it had been you would you not have rung the letting agency, then fitted a screw in the flue and done a temp fix on the 3 holes to leave the tenant with heating & hot water overnight? Or am I missing something?

Personally, I would have used 4 x self tappers. To screw in place of the badge fittings and to secure flue.
However, the RGI may have been working for peanuts, and taking the attiotude that he is getting paid for the LLGSC, not for rectifications. Having said that, the paperwork would take longer.

Personally, I would have used 4 x self tappers. To screw in place of the badge fittings and to secure flue.
However, the RGI may have been working for peanuts, and taking the attiotude that he is getting paid for the LLGSC, not for rectifications. Having said that, the paperwork would take longer.
Was thinking along those lines tbh, however not being gsr didn't want to stir up a hornets nest. :whistle:

Engineer is doing what he’s supposed to do... if you had been his “direct” client and if he has the experience, then I’m sure he could have used some initiative to adapt and overcome, however, it was his decision at the time and the place and you don’t know what other extraneous conditions surround his remit... sometimes it just ain’t worth it!

Has the boiler been physically prevented from “anyone” turning it back on........

In my view your missing something, screw in the flue no problem, but your temporary fix could if anything went wrong land you in it.

If you alter in any way a gas appliance that's been tested and certified then it no longer complies with its original specification to which it was certified.

I used to come across a lot of back boilers where tenants and painted the outside metal panels of the gas fire fronts, they no longer complied with the certification that the manufacturers originally obtained for their appliance ........so new fire fronts had to be fitted.

Safe gas inspector " Mr just pumps when you did your temporary repair to this boiler and the tenant was subsequently taken to hospital for carbon monoxide
Poisoning did you have agreement from the manufacturer that you could repair it in this way ? " ( No manufacturers will never agree to a variation to the design .....even temporary.)
You........ gulp "No"
Gas safe inspector " NOW WE'VE GOT YOU YOU SONIFABITCH !!!!"

thank you for the replies, i have since spoken to the letting agents who In turn spoke to the engineer and he basically said its only for one night and will take half a hour in the morning. I did not realise the little holes where the Worcester badge where could be dangerous it has been like that for months

As I said earlier I agree with the safety aspect and yes I take gas seriously however if is was only a matter of using 4 screws and then testing the appliance to leave it working for 24hrs I`m thinking the guy who attended has a cold heart (On the basis that he is returning to fit 4 screws that is or does the badge do something that I`m not aware of).

In my view your missing something, screw in the flue no problem, but your temporary fix could if anything went wrong land you in it.

Safe gas inspector " Mr just pumps when you did your temporary repair to this boiler and the tenant was subsequently taken to hospital for carbon monoxide
Poisoning did you have agreement from the manufacturer that you could repair it in this way ? " ( No manufacturers will never agree to a variation to the design .....even temporary.)
You........ gulp "No"

That is taking it to extremes! What does the badge do? How does it seal and if that is the case why use screws why not just stick the badge on the cover? Plus you never asked what my temporary fix might have been ;)

thank you for the replies, i have since spoken to the letting agents who In turn spoke to the engineer and he basically said its only for one night and will take half a hour in the morning. I did not realise the little holes where the Worcester badge where could be dangerous it has been like that for months
Have you got 2 accounts under different user names?

If you alter in any way a gas appliance that's been tested and certified then it no longer complies with its original specification to which it was certified.

I used to come across a lot of back boilers where tenants and painted the outside metal panels of the gas fire fronts, they no longer complied with the certification that the manufacturers originally obtained for their appliance ........so new fire fronts had to be fitted.

You........ gulp "No"

You are not wrong about altering appliances.

But we are Gas Service ENGINEERS. We should be able to engineer a solution. What does the badge do to the holes. Apart from blocking them?

The usual solution would be to put PRS10 tape over the holes to make safe until a proper repair was carried out. If he didn't have any then he did nothing wrong by turning it off.

The outer case is only a plenum chamber and is allowed a certain amount of leakage anyway - can't remember how much offhand but it's not negligible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back