Boiler water supply help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i'm replacing a knackered 20 year old oil boiler with a Firebird condensing one,i have a problem with the water supply i have two big 22mm copper pipes top and bottom which i'm guessing are the hot and cold return,then on the right hand side i have another two pipes one plastic and one coming out of the water pump i'm guessing are the supply pipes the lowere one is totally different tho to all the other sizes....another problem is the new boiler seems to have only three with another pipe at the bottom that looks like a different size......any help would be fab as i'm try to figure this out myself..........
GYcESoY.jpg

WHAT IS THIS CONNECTOR ?

VaClpJR.jpg

NEW BOILER LEFT HAND SIDE SEEMS OK 2 PIPES TOP AND BOTTOM

jhAl1GF.jpg

ITS THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BOTTOM PIPE THAT LOOKS DIFFERENT

ynHZb9v.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firebirds are the leakiest, shortest-lived oil boilers I've ever come across. Yours looks rusty - is it second hand?

I think you've mis-identified your old pipework and what you actually had was a semi-gravity system. It should be converted to fully pumped for the new boiler as it won't be capable of gravity operation. If you can't identify a drain-off valve (right-hand bottom "pipe" on the Leakerbird) then I fear this may be well beyond your capabilities

Yes the boiler is used about 2 years old........sadly boiler fitters round my area take the pee pricewise and leading to folk attempting to do things ourselves.....with a little help from on here i've no doubt i can acomplish this,i'm not gonna spend thousands just to satisfy building control and their demands for a fully pumped system we got by just fine without building control and older heating systems for many decades lol only problem is will the boiler work with an older system ?

Don't use a firebird they're crap get an old boulter or the like if it was a combi you'll ha heating flow and return cold water feed hot water flow to taps

Sponsored Links
You'll also need a new tigerloop and don't have flex hoses on the outside of the boiler it's
not allowed all pipes outside a boiler have to be ridgid

Not sure if this is a semi gravity system or a fully pumped system this is the only pump i could see.......
Yr2xouB.jpg

uG3r0XK.jpg

Too late now i already have the firebird argggggg.......sounds like this is gonna be hassle i assume i'll need a y plan from what i've read on line......what is the benefit of converting to a fully pumped system assuming mine isn't.......the old boiler controller had funtion for CH and HW independant......

You are probably out of your depth and the info what muggles gave was sound , no point in assuming because you know what assuming does;) . It could get expensive ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back