Boiler Wiring qualification.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, a boiler needs to be installed by a Corgi registered plumber, and much electrical work needs to be done by a Part P electrician.

What about connecting a replacement boiler? What qualifications should a plumber have to wire in the new boiler to the existing suppluy and then connect up the control unit?

I ask as our plumber said he'd need to hire in a sparky for the check the boiler wiring. He got his daughters boyfirend in who said 'I know X's work, I don't need to look at it' for which I paid over £50! I didn't even get a piece of paper for the elctrics side of it.

By the way the same sparky told me I could be fined £5000 for replacing the broken light switch that I was doing when he came round. Put the sheizers up me but I phoned regs and they said he was talking out of is arse.

Any way, what's the verdict?
Thanks
TOm

Sponsored Links
As far as i am aware 3 qualifications are required to fit any boiler (gas)....ACS/Corgi, Part L heating efficiency and part P electrics. The electrics side applies when you need to run a new fuse spur or add/amend to electrical system. So if you are connecting say cable to an existing fuse spur from pre wired boiler you wouldn't need the qualification, but it is a mine field so others may correct me on here....it all has to do with notification of works (zones in electrics......ie bathrooms. kitchens etc). So, if you have part P and are a member of a scheme you can self certify.....otherwise buildings control need to sign it off.

Please others feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Any work connecting a boiler in any part of the hosue needs a Part P electrically qualified person - unless the item doesn't have an electrical supply, such as a Main BF water heater.

In addition, a boiler or controls in a higher risk location - kitchen or bathroom - is notifiable. In other words, same qualifications, but with the addition of a formal paperwork trail through building control.

You don't need to be Part P to change a light switch like for like.

However, a boiler is classed as a permanent appliance, so whether it is wired via a fused connection unit, or a removeable 13a plugtop, it is still a Part P qualified job. If anyone tells you otherwise, its a fib.

Sponsored Links
The fib comment was not directed at you, by the way. The Part P stuff is designed to confuse, you only have to mention it to a customer and you are on site another 15mins debating the merits of state interference and legislation.

It was a generalisation because I often get told by potential customers that another installer has said Part P is not relevant to their job for some reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back