Plumber Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get a condensing boiler fitted and I'm getting quotes.

The central heating engineers/plumbers have M.I.P. , R.P. and A.P. (what do these mean ?) and corgi registered, do they need any additional qualifications for Condensing Boiler fitting ?

Sponsored Links
The only essential is that they are CORGI registered AND have the energy efficiency qualification which is also shown on the CORGI photocard.

MIP stands for Member of the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (IPHE) and RP is for Registered Plumber which is an accredition given by the IPHE.

Only about 5% of boiler installers are members although they do have a complaints procedure however as their members work to a strict code of practice they have a very high satisfaction ratio. They are usually somewhat more expensive though.

I cannot guess what AP means!

Its important that you check they are CORGI registered either from their card or on the CORGI web site and that yuo know who they are!

Tony

They need to be CORGI and have the energy efficiency qualiification, otherwise they are not allowed to fit and notify condensing boilers.

Also if they are doing the electrics themselves and depending where the boiler is to be sited and what they are connecting the electrics to, they may need to be Part P qualified for the electrics.

:oops: didn't read your reply properly Tony :oops: Been a long day :cry:

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware "Approved Plumber" has no official basis but is often used in adverts by cowboys keen to imply they have some status they dont!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back