Boilers advertising mostly in Sunday newspapers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly in Sunday newspapers there's a Potterton Gold advert, what you reckon of these boilers? the reason I'm asking I'm want to have some background idea what my next boiler will be instead accepting any boilers in a quick rush so I've got some idea. I was looking at Potterton boilers mainly because my Kingfisher potterton RS60 is still going strong after 31yrs and only replaced the 'O' rings in the casing and the boiler stat. Don't know if this is the norm or just lucky! I have hot water and shower via indirect cylinder and 14 rads around of approximately 48-50,000 BTU bearing in mind most of them on low temp TVR's. Only started with 8 rads but added more in room extension and got away with it!

Also are Combi taking over the non-Combi boilers these days?

Sponsored Links
The old boilers were very simple and could work reliably for many years! They are very inefficient!

Current boilers are much more complicated and fault every 2-4 years on average. They are very efficient, over 90%. We state the life expectancy to be 10-12 years.

Potterton nearly went bust and were bought by Baxi. There is little between the different boiler makes. The more astute independent installers like those with a five year warrantee like Viessmann and Intergas rather than the others.

The quality of the installation has the most bearing on the reliability of boilers!

Tony Glazier

The old boilers were very simple and could work reliably for many years! They are very inefficient!
Thanks Tony, I know they might not be inefficient as with modern boilers today, my feeling is if it's ain't broke then leave it alone having said that my monthly gas bill is averaging £65, don't know if that's good, hot water on 2hrs am and pm and heating on in the evening but only when it's cold

a modern day boiler will probably cost around £1 per 65/70 minutes of usage.

To get the most out of you heated water, try to not let the water cool completely thus taking less effort to heat up when it gets a bit chilly.

Sponsored Links
I went from an old iron Potterton to a new Viessmann

Annual gas usage to 30/05/08 (old boiler) 1563m³ (includes typical winter)

Annual gas usage to 16/06/06 (old boiler) 1807m³ (includes exceptional winter)

Annual gas usage to 31/10/11 (new boiler) 1025m³ (includes exceptional winter)

YMMV

p.s. it was installed in Sept 2008, I had the first service call to it this month, they fitted a new part f.o.c. under the 5 year parts and labour guarantee. I understand the later models are more reliable than the 2008 design.

To get the most out of you heated water, try to not let the water cool completely thus taking less effort to heat up when it gets a bit chilly.
I'm wondering if it's best to leave the timer on longer than 2hrs, maybe 5hrs on for am and pm for less firing up of the boiler thus saving money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back