bolier lit but not firing,radiators cold.help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me.
Our zone valve looks like it went a few weeks ago and we have had to have the heating on to get hot water.
We thought we would leave it until next year as we need the heating on now anyway with the cold weather.
This morning the heating was on and worked fine and then I turned the boiler up as I was cold.Then later on the house went cold and I checked the boiler and it was lit but the radiators are stone cold.
It isn't firing. I turned the heating off and tried to start it up again thinking it might refire but nothing happened.
Can anyone please tell me what the problem could be.I am freezing cold and want to get it working again.
I just wondered if there was anything that I could do instead of calling out a plumber.Something that I can't really afford at the moment as my telly has just broke and I have had to buy a new one which has left me with not much money.any advice would be really really appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
I think this is a one for a pro.??? more info may help but no doubt our resident experts will help if they can.

Thank you gees and corgiman for replying.
I don't what is going on with my heating but last night it decided to turn back on and the radiators got hot.
We had a bit of wind yesterday and I was wondering if that had something to do with it.It has in the past blown the pilot light out but what has baffled me is the the pilot light was still lit.So I raelly don't know what to think.
Thanks for your replies once again.
robbie.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an electrical problem to me, silly question but is the room stat calling for heat?
Normal way to increase heat is to up the room stat not the boiler stat. Could do with a meter on the room stat output to check it.

Hi dave,
the thermostat seems to be fine.
The heating has now been working okay since the episode on wednesday.
I am at a loss as to what it could be.
My friend said that her heating cuts out when it reaches a certain temperature but that has never happened before to me.
Then my mother has since told me that her zone valve went and that the plumber she had said that there is a little switch on the zone valve that can flick itself and the heating will go off and you just flick the switch on the zone valve and the heating should come on again.I can't comment on that as I don't know anything about it.
I was just wondering also if we have got to get this zone valve fixed as soon as possible as I don't want the heating system to totaly break down.
Thanks for your reply dave.
robbie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back