Bora TDI sluggish starter

I didn't use jump leads. I took the Bora battery off and put the 45 TD battery on.

As I mentioned, it was still sluggish but I didn't checked cranking voltage with 45's battery on.

With the 45's battery back on, the 45 started no bother.

Seems to be the starter. In evidence, occasionally there's a screech from the starter when it disengages.

When I bought the Bora's battery last December last year, the bloke in the motor factors told me modern cars are NOT supposed to be jump started - another fable ?

Sponsored Links
Modern cars shouldn't be push started.....that may give the cat a douse of unburnt fuel. That's the popular concept anyway! Nothing the matter with jump leads and a donor vehicle but cross connect even for a second and it's bye bye alternator.
So....a shrieking starter. There are a few reasons for this, none that we can prove from here but :
The starter gear and shaft are worn
The number of teeth on the starter pinion is incorrect
A dowel or spacer is missing on the starter bolts, creating misalignment ( this often causes a shriek on starting too).
Have you the old starter to compare?
John :)

I'll be taking the starter back off tomorrow to take to the scrappy for a replacement.

Its occurred to me that the screech could be a dry/stiff bearing in the starter causing drag when the starter's spinning ?

For sure it could be, but the starter drive mustn't be swimming in lube......Duck Oil is the recommended spray.
Starter alignment is a definite issue.....sometimes the bolts are sleeved with a hollow dowel and these mustn't be left out. Unfortunately not many people know that they are there, never mind what they are for!

Sponsored Links
A scrapyard starter might be no better than your "recon" starter. Is your sister that hard up ?

May just buy the refurbed unit of ebay - only £15 more and has 12 months warranty.

You can't buy a new house and a new car at the same time!

False economy to use second hand parts for such a critical item, go for the refurbed unit, at least you have some kind of warranty.

I'm all for saving money but you have to be sensible. Plus there's all your time and effort or doesn't she value that?

Further to this delightful saga, I tried to get the solenoid apart to have a look at the contacts.

Sods law, of the x3 torx screws, I could only get one out.

I took the nut and washers of the stub that battery cable fastens onto and sprayed some electrical cleaner on the stud and got a bit to drip down inside the cap.

Put the starter back together and back on the car and it seems to have improved.

Just a pity I couldn't get the other two screws out, take the solenoid apart and give the contacts a good clean.

See how it goes!

A recon starter should really include a new solenoid......they are about £20 and it's a fair bet it's at the root of your bother. As well as sliding the starter gear into mesh, it also switches high current to the starter so it does get a hard life.

The towel has been thrown in!

After I put the starter back on today, I took the car for a spin to give the battery a charge up. As I came back, a bit of a whine started when turning the wheel. Check the PAS fluid and a bit low so I topped it up.

My sister went out in the car tonight she reckons a hell of a whine started and the steering went very stiff - PAS pump I think!

Anyway, she going to get a new car!

Just a pity she spent £44 on oil and filters a month ago.

Thanks for the postings folks.

2nd hand with a budget of £3000

I'm tasked to go and see a 58 reg Golf 1.9 TDI tomorrow.

Spanner, you have the patience of a saint :cool:
Good luck with your search - check for timing belt replacement and front wishbone bushes on a Golf, hoping the mileage isn't galactic!

patience of a saint or just a simple mug, hard to say which, easier to pick a new USA president!

Sponsored Links
Back