Bosch Exxcel 1400 trips rcd when water level rises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
When the water level rises to a couple of inches above base of drum in either rinse or wash cycle it trips the rcd (electrical short happenning somewhere). Spin works ok. Machine has been washing ok for 5 months since moving to France - not made any changes to electrics or washing machine. Only thing I can see that may be related to the water level is the pressure switch but I do not know how to check if this is ok. Anyone have any ideas please?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it trips your rcd it isn't a short, it's an earth fault. And it sounds like an earth fault on the heater element. What throws me off is that you say this happens on both the rinse and wash cycle. During a rinse cycle the heater is inactive. Are you sure about this? Put the machine on a cold program & see what happens. Are you also saying the water level is too high?
Post the machine "E" number (on a sticker inside the door opening).

Thanks for your reply zipper, I too thought it might be the heater but unfortunately it definitely fails on the rinse cycle when no heating should be happening. To be absolutely sure I have just tried a cold water cycle with the same result. I don't know if the water level is too high as I have never noted the level before but it does not look excessively high. The E number is: WF02864GB/01 FD 8202 700048

Have you noticed any leakage around the base of the machine?
Pull the plug, take off the backplate & lid. Have a good look around in there for signs of leakage near any of the electrical components; i.e. Water/rust marks running from the drum bearing area down onto the drive motor, signs of leakage from the tub sump hose onto the pump, leakage from the heater seal or drain hose. If you find nothing there check around the door bellow for tears or holes. It is not totally unheard of to get a hole in the tub, this can easily happen when a coin gets trapped between the drum & tub. It you are unlucky it can punch a hole clean through the tub.
Post findings.

Sponsored Links
An afterthought...you won't be able to check the heater element seal from the back on your model. The machine front has to come off to do that. But you ought to be able to see most everything else.

if the heater is holed it will trip out disconect the wires to the heater but tape the ends up if it goes though a wash it will be cold , with out tripping thats your problem ,

I returned to the w/m problem today. I identified the heater and could just reach the terminals from the back. removed and securely taped the power supply and it works fine on a cold wash. We only use a 30deg wash so a bucket of warm water and cold wash will suffice for the moment.

Thanks for everyones replies - they pointed me in the right direction.

if the heater is holed it will trip out disconect the wires to the heater but tape the ends up if it goes though a wash it will be cold , with out tripping thats your problem ,

Nice solution - had same problem. However, only happened on an unusually hot wash, so turned temp down and now seems fine. :D

I appear to have the same problem on my Bosch Exxel 1400 Model WF02864GB. I'd like to try and disconnect the heater / thermostat and try cold wash only. No experience at doing this. Back plate and Top off but identifying the wires to pull is a problem. Any advice appreciated.

Dave.

Heater is down the bottom of the drum. At the rear remove cover look for the 3 wires and a centre nut. Remove the 2 wires but tape the ends up. If it cures fault then new heater req.

Many thanks.

I'm treading really carefully here as electrics scare the cr*p out of me. The two wires to disconnect are the live (brown) and neutral (blue) leaving the earth (yellow / green) in place. Correct?

D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back