Bosch laser level choice - which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting a laser level but a little undecided on which one to go for.

The two options are the Bosch red laser GCL 2-50 or it’s green equivalent.

The other benefit is the bang for buck, the red comes with a few extras but the green has nothing.

Option 1
(link removed)

Option 2

(link removed)

Which one would you got for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Links been taken out.

I think green is an easier colour to use. Maybe a personal choice though.

The red kit was -

Bosch Professional Laser Level GCL 2-50 (Red Laser, Interior, 3x AA, Laser Diode: 630 - 650 nm, Self Leveling +/- 4°, in Carrying Case) number: 0 601 066 F01

and the Green was just the laser -
WITH 4 X BATTERY (AA), ROTATING MOUNT RM 10
number: 0 601 066 M00

I know you get more in terms of kit with the red, however you can claim an LR7 for the green FOC from Bosch with a current promotion. The only thing missing is the case and the ceiling clamp.

I am predominantly only going to use it inside in various light conditions, they are both the 50m models. I was also curious as I have read that the batteries don't last on the green as long what the exact difference is as no-one seems to mention the difference in terms of time (realise it depends on battery and other factors but approximately).

The cost difference between the two is £14.09 as you see them.

71F56MK0bsL._AC_SX355_.jpg2111823.jpeg

Red will be fine, there is a slight visibility advantage with green, but not a massive amount. I used my Bosch green a couple of days ago inside an extension with the sun coming in though windows and roof lights and the lines could hardly be seen. But inside in not too bright conditions both red and green can be seen easily.

What I would get if I was buying again is the model with the vertical dot as well as the cross lines. That would be more useful and worth having and paying extra for, and so the one with the red laser line and dot would be better than the the green one without dot

Sponsored Links
I think both units are the same in respect of what they can do here, not sure which model you are referring to that you would get instead.

The red has the same promo as the green but the only thing I would get (since the kit has everything else) is the tripod.

With the green as I mentioned it would be the finder LR7, (not sure how often I would use that either).

I have an amazon discount for the the order which knocks the money down by £25, coupled with the Bosch Promo I am torn. Probably over thinking it.

Bosch do similar cross lasers with the price going up based on the distance they project and then going up again depending on whether red or green. Then comes the other models, which have the additional vertical dot which is used for aligning the unit over a specific point - and that is much more useful than other things if you are setting out - and worth paying extra for. I suppose it depends on what you are using it for.

Detectors are not that useful for line lasers, more so for rotating beams.

Tripods can be a pain and easily knocked, or make the beam wobble about on timber floors. Better to position the unit on something solid, or use a pole. So I would think carefully as to whether a deal with a tripod and detector is better than a deal with something else or a better unit

That's given me food for thought - didn't think about floor wobble and you are indeed correct. The items you are eligible for under the terms of the promo are -

1. Tripod
2. Detector
3. Ceiling clamp (as it comes with the other clamps)

Cost wise value with the green the detector is best, with the red the only thing not in that kit is the tripod.

I am toying with the idea of what you say - get the Green, detector and sell the detector :) get some cash back (best high value item out of the three). The ceiling clamp is around £30 so not overly valuable and I could get one later if indeed I would need it.

As they are both on par 50m and the laser colour is the only difference - I thought about it based on what would I use it for and what in the kit is actually useful with the Red compared to the Green.

My only other concern I had but no-one seems to reference anywhere is that the Green drains the battery quickly, someone said that the Red would stay on for most of the day yet the Green would only last a few hours.

I am not sure if that is true and if it is would concern me as I am not a pro and need it all day.

Green is more visible to the majority of people (so, @^woody^ are you red -green colour blind?). I certainly find it better to use which is why I swapped red to green 2-1/2 years back. Battery drain isn't an issue when you have a laser on rechargeable batteries - I get 6 to 8 hours on a 3-axis DW green laser (mostly running with 2 axis visible) which is comparible to the run time I had out of my 3-axis red Bosch GCL80P(?), so really a non-idsue - like other tools the Bosch should go to standby after a certain length of time and turn itself off. Ceiling clamp? Sounds like the track clamp you use for doing suspended ceilings or MF ceilings, so very limited use for most DIYers I'd have thought. Never used either a pole or tripod that much, both are affected by people walking around on floors, tripods tend to get knocked over and for a lot of jobs I've done the poles aren't long enough (and tske up space in the van), so I tend to fix to the wall and fill afterwards if needs be. Laser receiver? Seriously OTT for most DIY work IMHO - for most interior fit-out work, e.g. kitchens, bathrooms, door casing heads, even pub bars, etc the laser slone is sufficient. Probably use my LR 3 or 4 times a year, so not that useful to me. For someone doing survey work like Woody I understand the need, but seriously, ask yourself whether or not you'll ever use it

I understand about usage, I will need it while we renovate the house, how much I will use it after that who knows but that is like everything. I've ordered the green, managed to get it under £100 with the discount and a couple of vouchers I had.

I'll claim for the LR7 and decide when it arrives if it something worth keeping or selling. As with regards to the clamp you are indeed correct taking another look it seems it is for suspended ceilings.

As with regards to the clamp you are indeed correct taking another look it seems it is for suspended ceilings.
It sort of says that in the manual, but if you get one it becomes very obvious that it has no other uses. The DW(089LG) laser I bought to replace the red Bosch (which is still kept as a backup) came with an adaptor in the box - but then the DW lasers have sort of become the default laser of choice for drywall installers in recent years, possibly in part because they don't require any extra bits to be ready for use, possibly because the Bosch equivalent 3-axis green laser is a lot more expensive for very little, if any, advantage. That was certainly my take on it when it I went DW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back