Bosch WFO285SGB/01 Spin Cycle problems! with a twist!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
had read all the threads regarding spin cycle problems before I tackled my own machine, seemed to always point to rectifying brushes problems with good results however brushes on this machine were changed only 4 weeks ago by a appliance engineer.
Usual problem of machine washing normally, draining ok but not going on to spin cycle- counting down from 11 minutes ,10,9, and then dropping from 9 to 1 minute before finishing on 0.

Removed and split the motor- removed and cleaned carbon from around the brushes and holder, brushes making good contact with commutator, put it all back together and still wash but no spin cycle. So I pull motor back out, split the motor again to check and notice that one of the brush terminals has sprung a little, so I fix, put it back together and now it neither washes or spins. - ARRgh!!!

I remove motor again - split it and suddenly realise that the heavy middle section of the motor, can be fitted into the two top and bottom 3 pin terminals the wrong way round, easy mistake - so now Im left wondering if I have actually put it in the wrong way and If I have, would this cause damage to other components? or would motor just not work because Im now no longer sure which way is the right way. although motor looks okay, ( no obvious signs of any damage). Suppose the only way to find out is to switch it round and try again.

This machine is a little under 4 yrs old - given that no damage has been caused is there any other possibilities for machine not spinning? washing,
Pump is draining okay-
Any replies appreciated,
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would try searching out a spares site that has an image of the motor you may just be able to see the wiring block on the image ;)

Thanks for that, managed to find an image online and Im sure i have put the motor back together okay, still have the problem of drum not turning at all now when before it would turn on the wash but not on spin. Find it hard to accept that a machine thats under 4 years old would have a failed motor.

This machine was actually given to us by someone who had new brushes fitted only 4 weeks ago at a cost of £80 by an appliance engineer. It worked okay for over 2 weeks and then started having intermittent spin problems again, - she gave up and went out and bought a new machine, (another Bosch). It also had the pump replaced after 2 years. As our own 8 year old Whirlpool machine that has given us trouble free service now has a noisy drum bearing we thought the Bosch might be a cheap fix!! At almost double the price of the lower end machines I would be thinking twice about buying one.
Would really like to fix this one if possible, - anyone out there got any idea what the fault might be? - just how common are bosch motor failure on their washing machines and is there something else I can try?
Cheers.

were the brushes genuine bosch or patent ones ?? if patent then this could also cause an issue as bosch are very temperamental at times.

Sponsored Links
Yeah!, had thought about the brushes being patent ones, - Im really not sure how to tell the difference, but with so many people using the patent ones and resolving the spin cycle issues it seems a bit of a long shot but you may well be right. had read about that. One thing I noticed was that the spring on the brushes were a very tight fit getting them back into the holder, getting stuck constantly on the lugs while trying to push them through, but once through, the carbons moved back and forward in the holders okay. At £80 for the repair I think I would have expected original parts but they may well be patent brushes.
The reason I rattle on about motor failure is because I have read of someone with a 4yr old Bosch machine with same symptoms, - will wash but not spin. Brushes had been changed some time ago. Engineer has diagnosed impending motor failure, rightly or wrongly!

Cheapest first option I suppose is to buy Bosch brushes and try again.
Cheers.

Apparently the brushes are not patent but Bosch although the brushes themselves have no markings to tell. Have been reading about a possible dirty commutator and how to clean so I will clean it up and see how it goes.

Well, - after taking machine apart umpteen times I have finally given up, just dont figure calling out an engineer is going to be cost effective, cleaned up the commutator and it made no difference, clutching at straws really!!
Had a look at the control board and could see no obvious evidence of something having blown so Im a bit bewildered as to the fault. Is it the motor? Could it be the pcb? or both, Are the brushes Bosch ones? or is it something else altogether?
Also found a very small tear on the door seal above the latch and so would have had to change that also so it looks like Im on the look out for a new washer.

Just a post update really. The Bosch is still taking up space in my kitchen, - still not convinced there is a major problem although I cant fix.
One thing I have noticed however from searching online is the huge amount of Bosch machines for sale or repair suffering the same problem of not spinning -strange! and not particularly old machines either.

After researching Beko machines, ( I know they get dished because they are relativley cheap to buy) I decided to take the plunge and buy one, I could buy 2 Bekos to 1 Bosch, all owner reviews seem to be positive although as to their longevity, - well I suppose that remains to be seen.

With finances the way they are at the moment I really had no choice but to go low end and I think we British need to help one another out as much as possible during what are hard times for lot of people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back