Box in a purlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We’ve had a purlin supported with a new timber. As it’s bolted on it looks a mess with 8 bolts.

Can we box it in (plasterboard and plaster or some other means) or will it cause issues with breathability?

It’s on the inside of the house and the loft is converted.

Sponsored Links
dkb, good evening.

Can I inquire why is there no bolt fitted into the top hole?

Are the bolt fixings actually bolts or are they Coach bolts?

As for boxing in? I would use plasterboard, the thickness of the plasterboard will be dictated by the bolt head depth, meaning apply say 2 layers of plasterboard which will ensure a firm fix to the new purlin and with the 2 layers there will be no indication of the bolts being present, the botton layer can be cut around the bolt heads.

Ken.

the timber in the photo dont seem to be supportin anythin? how can it if the end is floatin free?
its been incorrectly bolted to what?
if the drilled holes are not slightly oversized then bolts in that formation in that position will possibly split the timber.
whats happening down the other end of the timber length?

dkb, good evening.

Can I inquire why is there no bolt fitted into the top hole?

Are the bolt fixings actually bolts or are they Coach bolts?

As for boxing in? I would use plasterboard, the thickness of the plasterboard will be dictated by the bolt head depth, meaning apply say 2 layers of plasterboard which will ensure a firm fix to the new purlin and with the 2 layers there will be no indication of the bolts being present, the botton layer can be cut around the bolt heads.

Ken.

They were part way through the work.
M16 8.8 high tensile bolts with 18mm holes drilled.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into doing that.

Sponsored Links
the timber in the photo dont seem to be supportin anythin? how can it if the end is floatin free?
its been incorrectly bolted to what?
if the drilled holes are not slightly oversized then bolts in that formation in that position will possibly split the timber.
whats happening down the other end of the timber length?

It can float and still offer support in the situation it’s been used for.

Nobody in their right mind would drill three large
holes in a line that close to the end of a piece of timber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back