Boxing boiler in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure this is the correct place and will upload pics shortly.

Painting my utility room, really cannot be bothered to paint behind the pipes above the boiler.
So need a solution for either boxing the full boiler in or just the pipes at the top would be fine (boiler isn't that ugly and is in the utility room so not too bad !!)

Advice greatly appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
You can do either, but if boxing boiler allow room for maintenance or make boxing removable, if its a newer boiler you can box tight to it.

You could buy some ready made door panels if you are lucky about the size, or make something to fit.
Possibly fit U channel of aluminium to the wall vertically and slide the panel into that securing with bolts/screws

You probably need to have regular access for the front so maybe a wooden batten where the dog leads are and a hinged panel with lift off hinges ( you could use lift off hinges for the side as well? )

Sponsored Links
What do you mean aluminium?

Sorry - not good at this sort of thing! Was either thinking a kitchen unit on it or just some battens with a bit of wood at the top, but not sure right way to go about it !

Bit of baton with plasterboard would be cheapest for just the top, if you want to hide boiler then a 3 sided mdf box sat on the worktop would hide everything and slide off for easy access.

That would mean I had to plaster it then won't it?

Don't want to put it on work top as we need the space unfortunately :(

If I could get it in a cupboard I'd be quite happy I think. Not sure how to do it tho! :(

the aluminium was to give you a slimish fixing to the wall, into which you could fix a removable panel.
Next time you go for a dump in a public loo, look at how the cubicles are made - alloy framing infilled with fomica type panels.

if you were lucky you could buy a wall cupboard to match and use 2 /3 sides. I'd be tempted to use just a side and a wide front, hinging both at the wall with a catch where they meet - swing it all ouit of the way for access

Check the boiler's installation about clearances and ventilation, most modern boilers don't need much of either, but check in case.

If it's in the utility, just make a three sided box out of thin ply with batten in the corners and sit it on top of the boiler.
But seems a whole lot of work to cover some pipes, just paint the pipes and wall

Saw something similar the other day where they'd made a 3 sided box out of polystyrene and emulsioned then just placed on top, looked OK I suppose

Just don't like how the pipes sit off the wall to go to ceiling. And it's a dark grey I've painted so don't think it would look right :/.

Might just do as you say and sit something on boiler

Bit of wood on wall screwed or bonded then screw the 'cover' into that?
If so 6mm ply? And will it immulsion ok?
Cheers.

yeah 6mm will be plenty and will take emulsion fine, just give it a sand first I have a two sided box which just sits on top of the boiler, not fixed in any way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back