Boxing in cistern,w/h basin and bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend's cistern, w/h basin and bath were boxed in some time ago with t&g timber. Unfortunately whoever did it nailed everything together so if there are any plumbing problems the woodwork has to be demolished to gain access to the pipework etc. On top of which, my friend just isn't happy with the overall look of the job. So, she has asked me to take the existing woodwork out and replace it.
The only materials I can think of using are plywood or mdf. Question: does anyone know of a suitable alternative which would come in at a similar cost to the two materials I have mentioned? I had wondered about acrylic panels but these are too expensive,
I haven't used mdf before but I am aware of the health hazards in using it; however, are there any other issues I should be aware of with regard to cutting drilling etc.?

Sponsored Links
What about melamine faced chipboard

Good idea but I can't seem to find anybody in my area who supplies anything wider than about 500mm and I don't want to have joins everywhere.
I read another post that suggested approaching one of the companies who build kitchen units but I think the cost would put this project beyond its budget.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Bathroom chipboard me think you are in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If you area painting the enclosure then the best material you can use is MR MDF ( moisture resistant MDF ). That is talking as a professional cabinet maker.

The items shown in the photos are constructed from MR MDF and oak veneered MDF.

oak%20bathroom%20(4).jpg

oak%20bathroom%20(3).jpg

oak%20bathroom%20(1).jpg

For what it is worth the plinth is concealing a safe.

Sponsored Links
Bathroom chipboard me think you are in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If you area painting the enclosure then the best material you can use is MR MDF ( moisture resistant MDF ). That is talking as a professional cabinet maker..

Great, that's the kind of advice I needed. Thanks very much ;)

You can use stainless steel or brass screw cups and screws for the panels that need to be removed for maintenance.

You could use concealed fixings such as clips or magnetic catches, but in my opinion it's better that the panels stay in place firmly without danger of being displaced accidentally, and at the same time that the method of removal is obvious to someone who might need to access the plumbing in an emergency.

For those that are interested; Acces to the concealed cistern is via a lift off solid 38mm thick european oak top, which is recessed so to fit inside the housing so it wont slip off. More than adequate space is provide for maintenance when the top and front oak panel is removed ( well it is for my plumber with hands and built like a bucket on a JCB ). The front panel which is finished in 20% pigmented high density lacquer can also be removed once the wall hung WC pan is removed. The carcase and the front panel are constructed from 22mm MR MDF. All secret fixings no magnetic catches used.

Now that is one sleek looking restroom.

I myself am doing some diy on a restroom and need to box in some flexi water pipes. Cant wait until its finished.

Btw have you used decorative cladding for the walls?

You can use stainless steel or brass screw cups and screws for the panels that need to be removed for maintenance.

You could use concealed fixings such as clips or magnetic catches, but in my opinion it's better that the panels stay in place firmly without danger of being displaced accidentally, and at the same time that the method of removal is obvious to someone who might need to access the plumbing in an emergency.

Thanks, I would prefer to go for the screws myself.

Thanks, I would prefer to go for the screws myself.

Screws on show in a bathroom get out of hear. You will get black marks around the head of the screws or even rust; this is due to the ingress of water. And you get ingress of water due to the timber or manmade board moves at a different rate to the metal screws therefore the seal goes belly up between two no mater what finish you use.

If you want a totally professionally looking job. Secrete fixings i.e. every thing fixed from the rear is the name of the game.

Screws on show in a bathroom get out of hear. You will get black marks around the head of the screws or even rust; this is due to the ingress of water. And you get ingress of water due to the timber or manmade board moves at a different rate to the metal screws therefore the seal goes belly up between two no mater what finish you use.

If you want a totally professionally looking job. Secrete fixings i.e. every thing fixed from the rear is the name of the game.

I appreciate what you are saying and don't doubt that you are correct. However, I have seen path panels in luxury flats (which were presumably built to a high spec) and were held on with screws which had stainless steel caps.
Having said that my own feeling is that secret fixings would leave a better finish.

Thanks again.

I appreciate what you are saying and don't doubt that you are correct. However, I have seen path panels in luxury flats (which were presumably built to a high spec) and were held on with screws which had stainless steel caps.
Having said that my own feeling is that secret fixings would leave a better finish.

Thanks again.

You are more than welcome

I have seen work supposedly carried out to the highest standard, and all I can say is;

Not even a blind man on the top deck of a double decker bus on the way to Blackpool would be pleased see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back