Brick Spacers

The limitation seems to be you need bricks of a standard width and they need to be flat. Otherwise the bricky will be of no use laying down the mortar.

Thanks Marty, I'm now convinced it will be of use! Just hope it doesn't work too well or I could get carried away and end up building a 5m BBQ :p

Sponsored Links
Give it a lash sure darren you wont regret it, as a few have commented you need bricks to be all the same size...that is actually only true to a degree and i wouldnt be over concerned with it unless they are quite irregular....obviously when your laying them use some common sense and dont put a small one beside a big one etc!
I laid my first course freehand and as it was my first ever time laying blocks they were up and down a little(5 or 6 mm on a few blocks), and the bricky tool actually ironed out these variances on the subsequent courses.....the bricky runs across several blocks so as long as its level (built in level) when you spread the mortar across it then the top of your bed will also be level ready to accept your next course.
Havent laid bricks with it but i imagine it wouold be similar.
All the best,
Marty.

Unfortunately the bricky lays a full flat mortar bed.

Which would be almost fine for a pack of identical sized, true, square, bricks.

But bricks are bendy, lumpy, bumpy, stumpy etc

We need peaked, grooved mortar to make up these deviations and to key into the frog or perforations in the brick.

The bricky gives a weak bond.

Sponsored Links
i was really passionate about hating the bricky tool when i first saw it i thought they were making a mockery of my skill and time spent learning the trade. then my neighbour bought one and tried to build a bbq with it hahahahaha after his 3rd weekend he gave up and its still unfinished after 2 years so now im not so bothered it quite entertaining watching novices try to lay bricks. so i say if they wanna try it let them use whatever gimmick they can and then maybe us brickies will get the respect we deserve when they realise how hard it is and how much skill is involved.tbh i wish id have thought of it at 30 quid a pop that irish bloke must be loaded by now

Block and Brick mortar joint spacers are available from:

www.BlockandBrickSpacer.com

They make laying Cement Blocks and Bricks fast, EZ and foolproof.

Brick and block spacers are a bad idea, even for a DIY'er. The whole idea is to get a good bedjoint and headjoint compression to get the necessary compaction of your mortar to make a strong bond and help keep the water from penetrating.

With the blockspacers you remove one of the most important things. The compression! I would never use this product if I want my wall to stand for any length of time.

Hi...we have just build two rotunda's on a shopping centre, in ceramic glazed brick. the problems laying them in the winter were so bad our company bought in brickmat.

Before we used it we were getting 3 - 4 course a day laid before the mortar beds sunk, when we used it we could lay a full lift.

Granted the brick were all uniformed but it made laying them childs play.

But like the brick £3.44 each the brick matt wasnt cheap.

Block and Brick mortar joint spacers are available from:

www.BlockandBrickSpacer.com

They make laying Cement Blocks and Bricks fast, EZ and foolproof.

Brick and block spacers are a bad idea, even for a DIY'er. The whole idea is to get a good bedjoint and headjoint compression to get the necessary compaction of your mortar to make a strong bond and help keep the water from penetrating.

With the blockspacers you remove one of the most important things. The compression! I would never use this product if I want my wall to stand for any length of time.

If you apply the right amount of mortar you get all the compression the standard method gets. The Spacers just allow you to keep a perfect 3/8" joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back