Brick Spacers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a small wall around a patio myself. Is there a product like Tile spacers for Bricks???

Sponsored Links
There is a tool called a Bricky.

Skilled bricklayers sneer at it, but it seems to give quick and neat results for the beginner.

see http://www.bricky.com/ and choose UK

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
i think 'quick' is a wee bit rich John. :D

Can a skilled bricklayer work faster without such a device? I've never laid a brick in my life, but it looked pretty quick in their DVD! I'm suspicious of the so called innovation if none of the professionals actually want to use it, but I don't understand what's wrong with it ...

you would need to be in a bricklayers shoes for a year or two, to be able to appreciate the speed and skill, of a man who earns his living, laying as many bricks as he can, as neat as he can.

whilst the diy'er is setting up his 'brickie tool', the pro has the wall half built. he'll have the other half built in the time it takes to clean it and pack it away. :D

put it another way:

how many site brickies, do you see getting out the van, armed with one of these devices? if there was a better way to lay bricks, the site boys would have found it by now. ;)

i'm sure a brickie tool would be useful for an enthusiastic amateur though.:cool:

lol , I never come a across one, just keep your perps looking good about 10-12m apart,garden walls are built by the eye, sometimes I dont even use a level to for brick work if it looks good it is good:)

You gotta start somewher so save yourself the cost of 'gimmick tools', pactice, take your time & do it the right way!

Richard C said:
You gotta start somewher so save yourself the cost of 'gimmick tools', pactice, take your time & do it the right way!

I've no aspirations of being a bricklayer, so any gimmick tools that help I'm interested in :) If it enables me to build a BBQ with decent looking joints I'll be quite pleased, as I'm sure I'd make a dogs dinner out of it first time otherwise.

I can understand how a bricklayer will be faster without it, but it's hardly a time consuming process to pull a bit of plastic out the van and swill it off after :p

Still be nice to hear an opinion of someone who's used one though ...

I've never used one, but, never mind speed, my bricklaying looks as if I've applied the mortar with a ladle :LOL: so anything that would get the bricks level with even joints would be an infinite improvement.

It's a physical skill. A pro will lay more bricks in a day than an amateur will lay in a lifetime.

Ive used the bricky with success and if you havent laid a brick or a block in your life id recommend it especially if its neat pointing you are after for a BBQ etc.
I used it to lay my first ever blocks and i have to say they are very neat and much neater than anything ive laid since freehand. A mate who is a fulltime blocklayer even commented on how neat my blockwork was!!
You have to lay the first course freehand but dont be put off by this just make sure you get your mortar a nice consistency..spend a few quid on a good level and a stringline.
Its definitely a great tool for introducing you to brick/blockwork and had i not bought mine i probably wouldnt have made the leap to doing any blockwork on my own.
Marty.

but what happens when your using bricks that aren't very uniform i'd imagine it would look awful

Yes, I'm building an olde worlde garden wall with reclaimed bricks.
Can't imagine it would be much use to me. Or am I wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back