Brickin' up my fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,
Decided that due to the chimney / fireplace on my house being utter bobbins, we're going to brick it up at the bottom and create one of those fireplaces that's just for effect (which the better half will probably put candles / shiny things in etc etc :rolleyes: ). I'm aware that as I brick it up I'll need to put some air bricks in to create enough draft to keep the stack from getting over damp - and was thinking about 4 - 2 side by side (ish) at the bottom, and 2 about half way up. Would this be enough to ensure the stack gets enough air up it to stop is being a problem over time? Or should I have more? Is heat loss an issue in the winter if I have too many airbricks? as I'll be relying on the rads to keep the room warm...

*I love Mondays*

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the air brick requirements but I would put a vented 'mushroom' on the chimney pot. In essence this caps the chimney but allows air to circulate whilst preventing precipitation entering the chimney.

dg123 said:
I don't know about the air brick requirements but I would put a vented 'mushroom' on the chimney pot. In essence this caps the chimney but allows air to circulate whilst preventing precipitation entering the chimney.

That's part of the problem - it hasn't got a pot on it - to describe it's a bit tricky but here goes:-
The stack terminates in a slab of concrete over the top - the actual vents are in the sides of the stack at the top (imagine removing 8 bricks on each side), so you get lots of air, but sadly potential fopr rain to ender too - I'd like to brick them up at some point and maybe put a proper pot on it (which would involve either cutting an opening in the concrete cap or removing it and narrowing the stack, then fitting a pot - a faff), but I'm crap at heights and it would cost a fair wack for a tradesman to do it :(

Sponsored Links
numpty with a crowbar said:
dg123 said:

That's part of the problem - it hasn't got a pot on it - to describe it's a bit tricky but here goes:-
The stack terminates in a slab of concrete over the top - the actual vents are in the sides of the stack at the top (imagine removing 8 bricks on each side), so you get lots of air, but sadly potential fopr rain to ender too - I'd like to brick them up at some point and maybe put a proper pot on it (which would involve either cutting an opening in the concrete cap or removing it and narrowing the stack, then fitting a pot - a faff), but I'm rubbish at heights and it would cost a fair wack for a tradesman to do it :(
Leave the top, it`s fine.@ the bottom as much air as you like. it`s good for you. Houses need to breathe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back